Notify
Tools

Lee Loader?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted
Gentlemen,

what is your opinion of the Lee Loader? They seem to be quite simple, and you don�t need more than a mallet. I�m thinking of buying one to use when loading at the range.

Best regards,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They work. I used one for a time for a .308. The problem is that they come with powder dippers, and you can't get very precise in your loading (i.e. in amount of powder you get in the case) just with those dippers. Moreover, you're very limited in what powders you can use, as the powder has to match the dipper, and you can't use more or less powder than what the dipper gives.

If you want to use a Lee Loader, I'd recommend using a powder scale along with it, as this will allow you to get much more precise in your powder measurements; it will also allow you to vary your loads (i.e., use more or less powder) for any given powder and bullet weight.

As with any other loader or loading system, you will need to check your cases for length and trim them when they get too long.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For under $20, Lee has a hand press that you can mount your regular dies in. It works by squeezing a handle, like vise grips. That would be easier to use at the range, and it is cheap. And I agree with the comment on using a scale. The dippers are OK only if you don't mind quite a bit of variation in load, and are loading near the bottom of the chart.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Eric>
posted
Fritz,

Opinions vary on this issue, I can only relate my experience. I started with one of those reloading .45 Colt. I used it for over a two years, making excellent quality ammo, with the following additions.

First, I bought a full set of dippers. They work just fine if you watch your technique. And regardless of opinion, many bench rest shooters have posted fine records using a dipper. Dip from a small cup or bowl filled with powder, pull the dipper smoothly through, strike off the powder with a business card or some such implement. Practice.

Second, I bought a Lee priming tool to prime with. With CCI primers (I hate those things) I would get a tight primer once in a while, which would go off and scare the crap out of me. I loaned it to several friends through the years, both had the same problem with CCI primers. Federal or Winchester seem to work best.

It's a compact, fairly cheap, and reliable if you do your job right.

Regards,

Eric

------------------
Surely we must all hang together, for separately we will all surely hang.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I always wanted one of those, and at the time there was only RCBS and expensive I nearly bought one.

I think my decision for a cheap Lee press and Lee regular dies for a start was right.

This press now does duty for decapping with an universal ( Lee ) decapping die. But for handgun ammo this press would have been enough. I just "needed" a Rockchucker ...

For nostalgic reasons I have thought about a Lyman tong tool with cowboy caliber dies ...

.44-40 or .45-70

Have fun! Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot something: buy the Lee trimmer & lock stud. I use it to this day as the most foolproof trimming system imaginable. Thats just what I need.

I also have the dipper set. For handgun ammo to go "bang" its totally ok. These are also handy for use with a scale. So you may buy a measure even later. For some loads instead of setting up the measure, I still use the dippers. 6.4 grs of Unique will of course be less ( the dippers will give the quoted amount only if you charge them wrong, i.e. with a heap, shaked down ), and its a fine .357 training load with anything from 148 WC to 158 SWC.

I think Lee is absolutely tops for beginners. For rifle calibers and if you want groups UNDER one inch you may need other dies ( and rifle, scope and shooter ).

The Lee trimmer and the factory crimp die and eventually the hand priming tool are the best money can buy. They are the cheapest, too!!

Good shooting! Hermann

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill336>
posted
Lee Loaders are GREAT for rifle ammo and OK for pistol. With the pistol loaders it is difficult for me to get a good crimp. However, the rifle dies are great. Use powder measures for powder and hand priming toolsor primers. I DONOT like the priming feature and actually believe it is dangerous. I have popped several trying to prime the cases. It's a feel thing and I guess I've got a heavy hand..

quote:
Originally posted by Fritz Kraut:
Gentlemen,

what is your opinion of the Lee Loader? They seem to be quite simple, and you don�t need more than a mallet. I�m thinking of buying one to use when loading at the range.

Best regards,

Fritz

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fritz Kraut:
Gentlemen, what is your opinion of the Lee Loader? They seem to be quite simple, and you don�t need more than a mallet. I�m thinking of buying one to use when loading at the range.

Best regards,

Fritz

I don't have one and have a hard time imagineing even useing one. Yes, I know others have.

I do have a lee hand press and it works, but I don't have three hands to run one. The third hand is to hold the press as I normally use two hands (one on the cases and one on the press handle) while reloading.

For the range, I have found the lee pro1000 which is mounted on a 2x6 to be perfect for pistol calibers as I try different loads and watch the chrony and the ejection as well as group size. After checking the powder to disk hole with a scale, I use the disk without worrynig about weighting (OK I so weigh sometimes, but it doesn't change). Since the disk is not adjustable, I don't need to check the adjustment. I do however look at the powder level in every case as I set the bullet in place.

I tried my single stage (the lee C-press), which worked, but I ended up with to many pieces in a box. Also to load 5, I had to change dies rather often. Then the powder scale was unusable in the breeze. At least C-clamping the 2x6 to the bench gave me a good solidly mounted press.

And yes, a dillon 550 should be great if you can set the powder measure outside in the breeze.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aHunter:
For nostalgic reasons I have thought about a Lyman tong tool with cowboy caliber dies ...
Hermann

I have a tong tool in 30-06 which I bought when I got my '17 enfield in the 50's.

I dug it out (it's an ammomaker kit with bullet mold) a year ago.

Loaded a box of shells. When I rolled the shells across a table, they wobbled something awful. As I sat there wondering what I had done wrong, it dawned on me. There was nothing to align the necks with the body.

So I buried them again. They were so slow anyway.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
You get what you pay for....

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used them for several calibers, and they work fine. I picked one up for 7.7 Jap for $5, it loads great ammo, and the dippers work fine with ball powder, dip it in, then use a credit card to level the powder.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are a real bargoon! Inexpensive, get you actually working with a cartridge and capable of producing excellent quality cartridges.
I find it funny that some people won't blink an eye on spending large sums on some things and then ignore a handy little bench tool like a LL. There are lots of new and used sets on ebay. If they don't work to your satisfaction, you're only out a few bucks.
These sets have some shortcomings by today's standards - the priming method for one, but that's solved for $9 with a handpriming tool.

You shouldn't think of a LL as the only thing you'll need to assemble cartridges. That thinking is blindered.
In some calibers it will allow you to inexpensively try neck resizing.
It is portable.
It helps you to focus on the case - the most important part of your load - to check for imperfections, damage and overall condition.
It puts the "hands on" back in handloading.
Today, it should be used in conjunction with other tools that weren't available to the general reloading public years ago.
Not the greatest for handgun cals.

This is an open question. With so much equipment out there, can you look at your bench and honestly say you only use equipment from one manufacturer? We all have out likes and dislikes. My bench looks like a trade convention.
Fritz, for kicks (and this doesn't cost anything), check out http://www.303british.com and look for "The Lee Loader - Thinking Out of the Box". It applies to LL of any cal.
As I said earlier, not everyone likes everything - we all have preferences. Never close your mind to alternate ideas.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
303british.com

Posts: 172 | Location: New Lowell, Ontario | Registered: 14 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

thanks for all your kind comments and advices.

Best regards,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
The bullet seater die is a fine straight line seater for the next larger caliber. It is a good deal for a beginner, if he discovers he doesn't like it he's lost very little money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I started loading with Lee equipment. It was the right choice at the time due to finances. In the 15+ years since, I have slowly been replacing the Lee gear with other equipment.

------------------
Our solders did not go to some foreign country and risk their lives to defend our constitution so that decades later some liberal democrat can say it's a living document, ever changing and is open to interpretation. The guys who wrote it were serious and meant what they said, so leave the document alone or there's going to be trouble!

Posts: 281 | Location: MN | Registered: 27 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DannoBoone
posted Hide Post
Hasn't anyone tried Lee's inexpensive
nylon-type powder drop/measure? That little
puppy is more accurate than I could believe!
Using the H4895, it doesn't even vary a
tenth of a grain from charge to charge. Have
mine mounted on a 1x10 board for portability.
It solves any wind problem!

Posts: 565 | Location: Walker, IA, USA | Registered: 03 December 2001Reply With Quote
<savageman>
posted
Until recently, I only used the Lee loaders. They have to this day produced my most accurate ammo. However. I use a powder scale instead of the dippers. The cant be beat for the price.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
The first reloading I ever done was with a Lee Loader. I later bought a set of dippers, which I use to this day. For small batches of ammo, like load development, it is great. The dippers have been said to less consistant, but it never has for me, but you must be consistant in filling it. I retired the LL, but recently bought a Lee Hand Press. It is also great for loading small runs of ammo. I hold the lever to my chest, so I don't need a third arm.

Good luck and good shooting

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought one in 30-06 a while back and used it for the first time today. I went from 25 fired cases to 25 reloaded rounds in just over an hour. Not bad for just reading the instructions the first time. I did set off two primers. They were not that loud. Still, I won't be (and wasn't) priming cases with an open powder canister nearby. I have a mallet that's hard plastic on one end of the head and rubber on the other. Both primers blew using the rubber end of the hammer head. With the plastic head, I just tap until the priming rod bounces a little. Then I don't hit it again.

I have the full dipper set ($6.00), but I used what came with the Loader for the first batch. Very consistent (3.4 cc = 44.6 grains 4064). I don't strike off with a card. I dip from a coffee cup and tip the dipper head from side to side until it's level.

The Lee Loader cost me less than a box of cartridges, so I can't have gone too far wrong. I had enough fun with this tool that I plan to play with it a lot more. I still like my Dillon 550 for pistol ammo, because it is about 20 times as fast.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Like a lot of people I started with a Lee Loader (about 35 years ago). It always kind of unnerved me slapping a round with a hammer, but there again I don't like unseating bullets with those inertia pullers either.

Just used a Lee until I was sure I wanted to continue to reload, then went RCBS.

Talking about using a hammer, the stupidest thing I did starting out was showing a younger cousin how to be safe.

They were visiting from Indiana, and he was watching me reload. He wanted a live .308 Win. round to take back with him. I told him I wouldn't do that, but I would give him a used case.

All the cases I had at the time were already primed. I was afraid he'd set it off somehow, so I placed the shell mouth-down on the concrete floor, took a tight grip around it with my left hand, and slapped the primer with a hammer.

When it went off I thought I'd lost my left hand. Trying to be a man, I pretended nothing had happened, fought back the tears, and just prayed the hand would hurry up and go numb. No permanent damage, but man did that smart.

Posts: 13877 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was in high school in the sixties I bought a Lee Loader ($9.95) for my 32 Spl Winchester cause it was all I could afford. I still have the rifle and the loader and I am still using both of them.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tanoose
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with the Lee Loader go buy one , but also buy yourself a reloading manual and a good powder scale. I still use the loader for my 45/70 and the .223, and i have used them for the 30/06 and .338 win mag. The dippers are ok for the rangr but you need to weigh your charges to get the most out of your cartridge for hunting. Good Luck Dave

Posts: 869 | Location: Bellerose,NY USA | Registered: 27 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Tastes great and is less filling!!!

they work fine, and great to have in your bag, when going on a long trip. For 20 bucks, and if you can find em, they will do fine.

I collect em, so if you want to offload some of your weirder ones....
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote