Find
Notify
Tools

How much force to resize a 50BMG
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted
I'm resizing my surplus BMG rounds and even with the crimped primers I'm having problems. I'm using Oneshot on the cases and in the die and bending my reloading table Frowner On the up-stroke I have to stand on the table to keep from lifting it!!! It's a Lee classic cast and Lee dies. Any advice? (It's a very sturdy table. 4x4 and 3/4" plywood construction.)

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady oneshot is the only caselube that I have ever had stuck cases with. I wont usa it anymore. I use the midway sprayon for most sizing, but for heavy stuff the only lube to use is Imperial die wax.

Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
I've used Imperial Die Wax with great success but I havn't tried it on a .50cal!

Congressional power is like a toddler with a hammer. There is no limit to the damage that can be done before it is taken away from them.

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I agree, IDW is the ticket. It also sounds like your press lacks leverage, making you & your bench do the work shame. I suggest if you are going to load a lot of 50BMG, get an RCBS AmmoMaster or eq. I can size my .404jeffey's w/ 2 fingers in mine. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My nephew shoots a BMG, he had to buy a special BMG press to handle his resizing chores. That rascal is massive, but does the job. You better do a little more research on you BMG before you break your press. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Know your problem, I found that putting some breakfree on the ink pad and rolling them around cuts the force by lots. only problem in cleaning them all off afterwards. I threw some directly into the tumbler, but it wrecked the media quick. Took to taking a rag full of thinner and wiping them off after. that worked good.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
BIGGER PRESS, MORE LEVERAGE, LESS WORK FOR YOU.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
Imperial die wax is by far the best for the 50 BMG, and any other size case for that matter.

You might want to check the inside of your size die to make sure there has been no brass transfer, which will scratch future cases.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an RCBS set up. Make sure the die/expander is very clean. Clean the interior of the neck with a brush, then apply a small amount of lube to the neck interior. This should make a big differance. I use RCBS lube also.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote