Find
Notify
Tools

i think i'm pretty well set up....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
guys -

it looks as though i'm pretty well set up, thanks, to friends, family and a small raise that i recently received at work!

for dies, here's how things are looking:

.30/30 -

- set of wells dies, including sizing and seating die (thanks, varmintcaller!)
- lee factory crimp die

- lee deluxe die set, including collet neck-sizing die, full-length sizing die and dead-lenght (non crimp) seating die
- lee factory crimp die

7x57

- lee pacesetter die set, including sizing die, seating die and factory crimp die

- forester "bonanza" die set, including sizing and seating dies (thanks, rob1!)
- lee factory crimp die

i've also got the basics:

powder scales (rcbs and hornady)
dipper set (lee)
powder funnel (lee)
digital caliper
case trimmers for each cartridge (lee)
primer pocket brush cleaner (rcbs)
primer pocket blade cleaner (lee)
chamfer and deburring tool (lee)
hand priming tools (lee and rcbs)
case neck brush (rcbs)
case lube (lee and rcbs)
powder trickler (rcbs)
case tumbler (lyman)
bullet puller (frankford arsenal)
manuals (lee, lyman, hornady and wells, plus the "load book" for each cartridge)
presses (herters and ch - thanks, soggy shooter and cb900f, respectively!)
shell holders - see below.

also, as everyone knows, i have the lee loader for each cartridge - wouldn't be caught dead without them!

as for components, i've got things pretty well figured out to get started, i think:

powder:

imr 4064
imr 4831
r15
varget

primers:

cci br large rifle (400)
winchester large rifle (200)

brass (appx 200 of each cartridge above, mostly winchester but also others for comparison)

bullets (a good variety for comparison, including hornady, sierra, nosler and speer)

the only thing left that i can see to get are shell holders for the presses i have. i have the lee shell holders, but they will not fit the herters or (i think) ch press. i've got a herters #21 shell holder (thanks, wingmaster) and also found a source for the herters shell holder that will fit the .30/30 - also, i just found a good source for the two ch shell holders, so next payday i will be getting those. a lee perfect powder measure or rcbs uniflow would also be great and will be considered for a future purchase.

aside from the ones mentioned specifically, many friends from the forum helped with various items here and there, and of course provided invaluable advice - i want to thank them all.

from where i can see, all that's left is to get presses bolted down and to get going!

anything else i need?

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe ch4d.com makes a shell holder adapter for that Herters press that permits you to use any modern, current "t" style shell holder, if you care too. Would simplfy things a bit... otherwise, you are ready to start... Then you will want to try... ????... It is an addiction. ENJOY. HAPPY HOLIDAYS. Luck. Happy trails.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ranger -

i considered getting the adapters both for herters and for ch - and i most likely will after the new year. it makes sense to have them so that everything can be used across the board without complication.

of course, being an historian, it's also kind of nice to have the "original equipment" for both as well! Wink

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nope - you need alot more stuff Big Grin hillbilly banana

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tas, there should be a gun show next month in Havre. It's not the biggest, but they usually have plenty of small stuff to scrounge thru. It's worth the trip.
One of my shootin' friends will have a table there, so if there is something special you need let me know and I'll pass the word ahead of time...

one of us
posted Hide Post
much appreciated, buckshot. i figure that there isn't too much i NEED, but there might be an awful lot of things that i would like!

i''ve never been to that gunshow, although it's been up here for years. sounds like it's about time for me to attend...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am glad to see another fan of the LeeLoader....it is the greatest fun loading and shooting a single cartridge case 5 times in a row at the bench with a nice rifle and finding a nice load in real time.Salute.

Nice find on the 7x57 and .280 version....neat tools.

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
mick - i hear you on the lee loader. as far as i am concerned, it gets a person farther into the fundamentals of loading than any other tool, press etc. it has produced some very fine ammunition, but i kept hearing how i "need to step-up" to press-and-die loading, so we'll see how it goes!

the 7x57 and .280 were, as i am sure you can guess, extremely difficult to find. thank the stars for eBay, is all, i can say. i am always on the lookout, however, for "back-up" tools in this chambering. i am very paranoid that something will happen to either of them and i will be stuck without one or the other...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck...post results.The Collet + FC die will work well together admirably on the 308.

But its always interesting to eliminate case to case variability at the range with the Loader system.You have a great selection of powder,just set up your scales and practice dumping powder with different dippers at home.The 3.1cc dipper and Rx15 and a 150gr bullet looks promising in .308.

3.1cc may be too much for larger bullets in the 308,may have to use a combination.Yeah...presses are a necessity sometimes,but its nice to have a mobile loading unit.Cheers!

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: 04 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ron,

What model is your C-H press?
I have a C-H "H" press I bought new in 1956, and it's still in use. The "H" refers to the twin steel columns that a carriage rides up and down on, that has the die threads in the center, much like the current Corbin press. They also made a "C" press too.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
DMB - it is an H-type press that looks similar to this, except in color:

looks pretty durable! the fellow i got it from said it needed some sort of O-ring that, according to him should be easy to find and replace.