THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    initial load set up and bullet seating depth question?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

initial load set up and bullet seating depth question?
 Login/Join

<Embalmer>
posted
ok, I finally loaded up my first batch/es of reloads.
All are loaded with Lapua 308 win brass (new)
CCI BR2 primers
Sierra MKs

The first batch is IMR 4060 with the 168s. I loaded 4 bunches of ten so I can shoot two five shot groups for verification.

1. 43.5
2. 43.0
3. 42.5
4. 42.0

Then the same ten round two five shot groups for the 175s with Varget at

1. 45.0
2. 44.5
3. 44.0
4. 43.5

These are what have been suggested and I decided to start with to test for a good shooting load for my rifle.

My rifel is a 700VS with a 1-12 twist. When I measured my chamber with a Stoney Point gauge it seems that I have an extremely LONG throat. For me to seat that bullets at or even near the lands I would have to seat at 2.935 or more. With that long of a case the bullets are not even seated with half a bullet diameter. So I called Sierra to get an idea on where to seat them. Robert at Sierra reccomended starting at 2.810 for an OAL just for testing purposes then finding the best load, then messing with the seating depth to find the sweet spot to tune to. So that is what I seated this first batch at.

Does anyone have a better idea to seat these at just for testing purposes? My rifle shoots Fed GM under 1/2 inch at 100 yards. So if I can get at least that good of a group or better I will be happy. I measured the Fed GMs and the average OAL came to about 2.771. I also measured with a Sinclair Comperator to check for the OAL of the GMs and my seating depth of 2.810 is still longer then the Feds.

Is there a better OAL that I should start with for my load developement?

[ 05-05-2003, 09:45: Message edited by: Embalmer ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
E: When I begin to work up a load, I always start with the accurate load in the Sierra manual, use Sierra bullets and seat to the length recommended. I load 5 rounds each in 1/2 grain increments both up and down from the accurate charge listed. When I find the accurate charge, I then start playing with seating depth. Usually the most accurate seating depth is near 0.010" off the lands by measuring the cartridge to the ogive, not OAL. It doesn't take me very long to arrive at the most accurate load for that rifle.
If I were you, I'd follow the advice of the Sierra people, they've done all the work and have vastly more experience than either you or me. Just my comments based on my experience. Bear in Fairbanks

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Embalmer>
posted
ok, I have now shot a few loads. All were seated to an OAL of 2.810.

The IMR 4064 shot best at 43.0 and 43.5 with the 43.0 shooting under half an inch at 100.

The Varget shot best at 44.5 and 45. I had zero signs of pressure at any of the loads. So I think I will work up to 46gr of Varget to see what happens. All but one of the loads at or under one inch at 100 yards.

2 Loads from each shot at or under one half inch at 100 yards.

I think I still have some playing to do with the Varget. although the 4064 shot the best today I want to work more with the Varget since it seems to shoot the 175s a little better (unless someone knows of a good recipe for 4064 with the 175s) I hear that 46gr of Varget is pretty much the standard for alot of people for the accuracy load with this powder. Since this was my first time loading I was a little leary of going that high with it (a little over the max suggested in some manuals but right at maxz at 46 for others)

I had all loads seated at 2.810. My rifle loves Fed Gold Medal 308 with the 168s. The Fed OAL is 2.771 on average. Do you think it would be benificial for me to try seating my loads that far back? Since I know my rifle WILL shoot extremely well with the GMs at that OAL I was thinking it might be a good idea to try. Anyone have any comments on this?

one of us
Picture of milanuk
posted Hide Post
FWIW, you might want to hold back a bit on that 175gr load. From what I've seen the recommended 'ideal' load that many have had good luck w/ (also Hodgdon manual *maximums*) are like so:

155gr SMK -- 47.0gr Varget

168gr SMK -- 46.0gr

175gr SMK -- 45.0gr

My gun didn't show much in the way of pressure w/ the 45.0gr load, but I really didn't gain much in the velocity department as the powder charge went up above the listed maximums. And later I started having a sticky bolt now and again, even at 45.0gr.

YMMV,

Monte

Posts: 341 | Location: Wenatchee, WA | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote