Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375 H&H loads
 Login/Join

posted
Does anyone load Hornady 220 gr. flatnose bullets in their .375 H&H rifles. I was just given some of these bullets and wondered how they would work for New England whitetails.
Thank you for any help you can give me with regard to powder and velocities with this bullet.
Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMHO the 220's are on the SOFT side. Not made for the velocity one can drive them to in that big case. Even for deer I still shoot my 300 gr elk load, works fine.
If You want a lighter bullet try the Sierra 250's.

FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi
You can approximate 38/55 Win velocity with the 220gr bullet in the .375H&H using about 34.0 grs of Accurate Arms 5744. This should get you in the 1600-1700fps range..
If you want to go a little warmer you can approximate .375 Win velocities with about 38.0 grs.
These loads will give you a very useful close-in deer load with your H&H.
5744 is a marvelous powder for reduced velocity loads because it is not position sensitive, meaning you don't have to use any fillers.
I believe you will be very pleased with the results you get from 5744 in that H&H.

Barnes used to make a 255gr flat point bullet for the 38/55 which if you can still get them would be great in that rifle.

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote