New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm load?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been shooting 61.5 gr.s of h-4831 behind 160gr. speer bowtails with cci 250 primers in my 7mm rem mag and getting pretty good groups. The h-4831 is the ony powder I've evere tried . I'd like to work up a new load with the same bullets and primers but try a difrent powder. I have reloading manuels but would like to hear what some of you would recomend. I'm not looking for a super fast load just an accurate load.
Thanks Jamie

Posts: 109 | Location: Washington | Registered: 18 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I get my best results using RL22 and RL19. I'm shooting different bullets but would suggest giving them a try.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Jamie, Check out the favorite loads section and do a search for 7mm RM. There is a lot of data there.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
H4831 is great, but I cannot no longer get it easitly so I tried RL15, RL22, MRP

MRP gave higher velocities with better accuracy than H4831

This was mostly with 136 or 140 gr bullets, but MRP was also best with 160gr bullets too.

Good luck.

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out all of the new loads we just put on our 7mm RM Reloading page.

www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
 -
5 shots @ 200-yards
Firearm:Ruger 77R in 7mm Remington Magnum
Optics:Leupold 4x12AO
Case:Remington
Primer:CCI-200
Powder:64.6 grains of RL-22
Bullet:Sierra 168 grain Hollow Point Boat Tail
Velocity:2943 FPS @ 15' from muzzle

[ 07-19-2003, 19:49: Message edited by: ricciardelli ]

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
steve, that is a sick group! must give that one a try........
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I'd try RL22 or H1000 with 160 gr. bullets. IMR 7828, RL19, IMR 4831, and WXR would be other good choices.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I will try RL-22. I've been reloading for my hunting rifles for along time but after reading and learning alot from this website, I'm shooting my high powerd rifles at paper alot more and want to try some new loads.
Thanks again Jamie

Posts: 109 | Location: Washington | Registered: 18 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to load a bunch of H4831, now I've used RL22 for years. It shoots as good with more velocity. by the way, I would assume your load isn't too fast out of a 7mm Mag, as I used to load 68 grains for 3000 fps or so. Mine is kinda long throated, I load 65 grains of RL22 with 175 Noslers for 2925 fps. If you're using Remington cases, they are smaller, a Remington rifle won't be as long throated either, I've never seen a Remington I could chamber my ammo in and it won't go in my brothers Mauser either.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
You'll have a hard time beating plain ol' H4831, but Re 22, RE 25, IMR 7828, Norma MRP, and several others in the same buring speed range will also work well. I have had excellent results with MRP and Nosler 175-grain bullets in my Ruger No. 1B 7mm Rem. Both in the accuracy dept., as well as good velocities. [Wink]

<eldeguello>
posted
ric, great group! And from one of those "inaccurate Rugers", I see!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The crony clocked my loads at 2825fps which isnt all that fast but it kills elk just fine. The rifle is a Rem.700 bdl. I've been buying factory Amo. for practise and then useing those once fired cases for reloading.(I size with a full length die but only enough to size the necks).
I'm going to buy some new cases, do I have to full length size new cases? Or can I size the new cases with the die set the way it is now?
Jamie

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that Reloder 22, around 65 grains, is the powder to try next. Personally, the most uniform and consistently accurate load I've ever found in the 7mm Remington Magnum is about 61.5 to 62 grains of IMR 4831 with a 162-grain Hornady. It also works very well with other bullets in that weight range. It's worthy of note that the Nosler Manual rates IMR 4831 as the accuracy powder of choice with that weight of bullet.

Whenever I try a 7mm Remington Magnum, this is the load that I try first to see if the rifle will shoot. If the rifle doesn't like it, I'm pretty sure the problem lies with the rifle or scope, not the load.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a big 7 as much as anyone out here-I'd give a go with R22 and IMR 7828 first off.
They've always worked for me.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dog

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like V-V N160. It is one of many powders I've tried, and unlike some, it gives me all the velocity this calibre promises.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote