THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    You can have as many rifles as you like but they must be the same carliber/cartridge?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

You can have as many rifles as you like but they must be the same carliber/cartridge?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You can have as many rifles as you like but they must be the same carliber/cartridge?

What caliber/cartridge would you choose?

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I've got five 7-08's. I guess I like them pretty good...........

<heavy varmint>
posted
I don't own a 30-06, why not? because everybody else does but put in that position I guess I would have to join the crowd.

one of us
posted Hide Post
40mm boufers AA guns...they wanna play dirty, i'll play dirty.

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30-06 what else.

Posts: 19390 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
My 375/284 Win. Rabbits to Moose (Africa if I could afford it)....

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
7mm-08
I have only two, but give me time & money and the number will grow!
Bulldog...

Posts: 141 | Location: Ruston, Louisiana | Registered: 09 September 2001Reply With Quote
<dr280>
posted
MIke- 8 years ago I could only afford one rifle- everyone and their family had an 06, being a leader and not a follower- I went with a 280 Rem. I can reload for anything from dogs to elk- moose if he stands still long enough to take a couple.
quote:
Originally posted by Mike375:

What caliber/cartridge would you choose?

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Mike

Calibers for which I don't own a rifle at the moment, 30-284 or 30-06. If I had to make do with factory ammunition, the 30-06.

Tom

Posts: 14383 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
35 Whelen
Got 3 now and still not finished.
But life would be a real bitch under those circumstances.

Posts: 358 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 15 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Kerry.S>
posted
7x57 or .300 HnH thats all you'll ever need.
last would be the .30-06

------------------
If you can't hunt, fish. If you can't fish, Hunt

one of us
posted Hide Post
If I had to hunt the whole world from rockchucks to Elephant I suppose I choose the 338 Win. or 9.3x62 and hunt fewer rockchucks.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Lazzeroni HellCat and I would only need the one I have.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I only have one big game rifle, a .338 WM.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
Mike, your question makes my head hurt! I can't do it!!!

Canuck

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
Today I'd say a 375 h-h.

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
<gone hunting>
posted
308win plenty of power for anything i would hunt plenty accurate and ammo anywhere i may find myself

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Mike,

You may be happy to hear that it is 375 H&H. I currently own 5 (Jeffery, Blaser, Mauser, Browning, and Whitworth).

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
9.3x64-- bullet selection is there, standard length action, no belt , big enough hammer to hunt the ones that fight back and not too large for the wee ones. Haven't used it on a coyote yet, but that's an idea

one of us
posted Hide Post
.280 Shoots 139s like a varmint gun & killed every moose I shot at with 1 shot. Now that's versital

Posts: 302 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 21 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only ONE caliber? That's just wrong. Sorry, I coudn't do it.

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna say 7-08. I have some. But then I also have some 30-06's. The difference is I have been shooting an aught six forever and I have been fooling around with a 7-08 for only 20 years so I can still try some "new" stuff with it. :d

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<AKI>
posted
.338 Lapua Magnum. Accurate, flat shooting, can be down loaded for moose and uploaded for crows at +1000m I just love it! AKI

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
308 win, but under severe protest. What is this Mike, do I feel some sadistic streak coming out....?

Not even a 22 in the closet?

Perish the thought! Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Umebo>
posted
I would go for the 6.5x55. Enough power for Moose and still kind enough to be used on small game.

/M

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I put this topic up to see if there was anyone else like me, but I appear to be alone

My preference has generally been to have one or at most 2 calibers at a time, but often in several rifles and rifles of different configuration. I also have quite a variety of loads in a caliber and find it much more convenient to be set up around one caliber.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.35 Whelen . Use a 310 gr Woodliegh solid for elephant . Use a 110 gr pistol bullet for the 'chucks . And there is a suitable bullet for everything in between .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As many rifles as I want but only one caliber? The choice for me would have to be the 308 winchester. No question it would make an adequate big game rifle for any north american game. I'd build this one on a Mauser.
A short M70 would be the foundation for the varmint rifle. This would feature a #5 contour 14 twist barrel and be loaded with 125s.
The 308 will always be a reasonable choice for a prone rifle or for "F" class competition.
In spite of the recoil being a little excessive a 308 can be truly competitive at BR especially in Hunter class and is a good choice for an unlimited gun.
In other words a person could build a 308 in almost any configuration and while it may not be the best choiuce it will be one of the best.
The 30/06 would be a slightly better choice as a game cartridge but can't match the 308 on the range. Some of the small cartridges are very slightly better on the range but nearly useless in the field for big game. The bigger cartridges are fine for all sorts of big game but if you want a target rifle that 338 just isn't going to cutit.
So in my opinion if I could only have one reamer it would have to be a 308. I say this in spite of the fact that at this moment I do not have a .308! Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<jagtip>
posted
In keeping within the framework of the question,I think after banging my head against the wall for awhile,I'd probably go with the 375 h&h.....And I don't even have one......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

one of us
posted Hide Post
The.338 caliber will be my choice, reloading it with high or low charges...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 9 rifles in .308 Winchester so I'll stick with that.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Chainsaw>
posted
.308 but with much ordnance stockpiled----Chainsaw

one of us
Picture of BER007
posted Hide Post
Mike375,
The .308 Win with my great Parker Hale M82 with match barrel.

------------------
BER007
------------------------

Posts: 831 | Location: BELGIUM | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Obviously, only the .45-70 is the perfect compromise: large enough for nyati, yet small enough for a reasonable-sized revolver, for those who like revolvers and carbines using the same cartridge. And legal for cowboy action shooting, in the right rifle..

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I could only have one caliber then I'd only need two rifles.

.30-06 sporter, 23 or 24" barrel, about 8 to 8 1/4 pounds with the Leupold 2.5X8 scope.

.30-06 heavy gun, straight untapered tube 26" long, stocked for shooting prone or from bags, throated for 168 grain Match bullets.

Actually, forget the heavy gun. Just give me the one .30-06 sporter and I'll work up loads for 125 grain Sierras, 165 grain Hornadys and 200 grain Noslers for use as the game and situation require.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
<45/70 marlin>
posted
The 45/70 is my favorite caliber of all.However if I could only have one rifle for all hunting I would a 35 Whelen.I would use 250 grain partions for the big stuff,200 grain bullets for deer and 110 grain pistol bullets for varmits.

<Paul Dustin>
posted
I would go with the 338 Win or 375 JRS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Great minds think alike! For everything under the sun, including the big biters, I'd go with a .338 Win Mag in any action they are available in- Bolt, Semi-auto, single shot, am I missing anything? I suppose if you were really bucks up, a double rifle in one would be a possibility.

Can't think of a single thing this cartridge wouldn't be adequate for in a pinch.- Sheister

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Limited to one rifle! Come on the recession isn't that bad. But OK excluding Africa 338wm; including Africa 338 wm.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have to take my 30/06 as many say on this forum "jack of all trades master of none". But I would also find a way to beat your system and keep my 45/70. It is my favourite "fun" gun.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote