Find
Notify
Tools

168 gr B.T.H.P. Hornady
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of AAdams
posted
I would like to know if anyone has taken any game such as whitetailed with this bullet and what the results were. thanks for your input.

Posts: 117 | Location: Rock Hill, S.C. | Registered: 13 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have taken several deer with the 168 nosler hpbt worked just great little hole going 3to4 inch hole going out. I don't think you well have any trouble with it on deer.

Posts: 19453 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm from Brisbane, Australia and new to this forum.

Though I have been a shooter, reloader and hunter for more than 30 years I have been relatively inactive for the past 20 years. I am now reactivating my interest (passion) in the above with a bit (no a lot) of trophy hunting in mind. I've done a fair amount of hunting in the (distant) past but have not do so to collect trophies.

The point of my post is a query concerning the last post in this thread. I have always believed that the point of reloading for hunting is to get a bullet to stay in an animal. That way the bullet has maximum impact on the animal itself and avoids any unintended collateral damage that might occur if it exits the animal. To me a big exit hole has been a no-no and speaks of a badly matched bullet/load/cartridge to the animal.

I'm happy to be corrected if there is some point in this that I have missed.

Any suggestions?

Magnum

Posts: 62 | Location: Brisbane, Australia | Registered: 11 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Welcome back to the sport Magnum. The other side of that thought is if the bullet fragments enough to stay inside the animal on a broadside shot, it may not have enough penetration to reach vitals from any reasonable angle. The entire HPBT match bullet thing is a question of; does a bullet MADE for punching paper do a good job in live animals. Some here say dead is dead & others say "wait for the bullet failure that is sure to come when using target bullets for game". Good hunting!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Big hole going out means proper bullet expansion with a enough weight left over to drive the bullet through. Thus you have massive damage done to the critter.

The deer I have shot with these bullets never went too far liked dropped in their tracks or made one or two jumps. The insides the lungs heart ect were just like jelly. What more can one ask for.

I have been shooting and reloading for more than forty years. I find this type of bullet behavure to work very well.

Posts: 19453 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote