Find
Notify
Tools

beginers loading class??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
I went through Hunters Ed with my 13yo a few weeks ago. There were several Dads in the class and when the subjuect of handloading came up, most knew almost nothing about it. I was thinking of setting up a beginning hands on class with the F&G after hunting season closes. I wonder if I could get donated supplies and printed material for the class with advertizeing. Maybe handout a Midway catalog to all students if they donated stuff. Any thoughts? maybe a week of hands on loading with range day on Saturday? Have people signup with caliber to be used so I can have dies, brass, bullets..... Or just load the more common ones??

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deutsch-Drahthaar
posted Hide Post
Hey lars,

I see that you are from pocatello there. Funny I was born in Blackfoot and raised between Blackfoot, Pocatello, Twin Falls and Montana. Parents divorced and moves frequently from there jobs. (That was Long Ago and a different story.)

I went to hunters education in Poky in '87. I don't remember reloading being a topic of discussion. However, it is a good idea for a class to be offered. I think getting donated supplies might be hard though. People are hard pressed to depart with there reloading tools. I can almost guarantee that Idaho F&G says the class is a good idea...But yet they won't fork any funds out to help in the slightest (I could be wrong though.) They may look at it in a legal point of view. What if some dumb-ass kid wasn't paying attention and underloads or vise versa something and blames it on poor instructions. You know how those lawyer red diaper doper babies work. Always out to screw the good people.

I will look around though for maybe some old supplies I have.

Good luck,
Ben

Posts: 112 | Location: Fairbanks, Alaska | Registered: 25 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I think it's a great idea. There are far too many BS guys @ the local gun shops & it's really hard for someone new to the hobby to get good info. A class covering the basics of handloading pistol, rifle & shotgun, could be done in (3) days, one day for each. Something like this:
Rifle: Rimmed, Rimless & belted, touch on loading for diff. action types (30-30, 7mag & 30-06).
Handgun: Rimmed & Rimless, loading for revolvers & pistols, jacketed & lead (.45acp, .357mag). Single stage & progressive presses.
Shotgun: 12ga on a progressive press.

I'll bet you get some support from Dillon & some of the bullet/die makers. The only thing to think about, & I hate to bring this up, is the liability issues. Some whack will take the class & then go hurt themselves & try to find you @ fault, ugly but probably true. Good luck w/ this.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lar45

It is great that you are willing to help introduce others to this great hobby. However in today's society someone you may have had in your "class" may have an accident and his lawyer or family may want you to take some of the "blame". Even if you prevale, the cost to defend yourself can be huge. Not to mention the anxiety and stress you will suffer.

May I suggest you contact the NRA or 4H Shooting Sports program. They both put on good reloading programs.They both offer excellent instructor training. And best of all they will share the liability load. In fact if you teach with in their program, you are pretty well protected.

This is not ment to discourage you. But you should go forward with your eyes open.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of single stage RCBS presses and a Dillon 550 that I could bring in. I don't reload shotgun so someone else would have to do that part. I was thinking of donated supplies like cases, bullets... Maybe I could get Winchester to donate some with one of the free handloading pamphlets. Or powder from Ramshot, cast bullets from Oregon Trail. Then handout a pamphlet for each of the products so they could get some advertiseing and we would get free stuff. Maybe a Reloading kit from Lee to be given away in a drawing on the last day? I already have a pile of dies and everything else for equipment. I wouldn't want any pay, but maybe a small, $5.00, class fee could cover any loading supplies. I'll have to contact the NRA about a program. I'd hate to have any liablility issues. I wonder if a release statement could be signed before the class and have it hold in the event of a mishap? Kind of like the release I signed for my Fenceing class, if you play with sharp pointy things you might get hurt.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
An NRA Certified Instructors Certified in Reloading can offer the NRA's program for both Shotshell & Metalic Cartridge reloading. The NRA Education Dept. offers complete student packages, books & materials and of course exam (you need to be an instructor to get them). Completion of the program will earn the student the NRA Basic Certificate. I am an NRA Certified Instructor for reloading (and many other diciplins)and an NRA Appointed Training Councilor. Contact the NRA Training Dept (703-267-1500)for an instructor near you that can present the program. You may wish to become an NRA Certified Instructor, they can hook you up with a T.C. in your area. Too bad we are a bit distant, I have a class forming in Jan.

The NRA reloading program is an outstanding beginners program that was designed with the National Reloaders Assoc and the various manufactures. The books, posters and materials are first class. You can get just the student hand book through Midway for about $9 it's a must for beginners in my opinion.

The NRA offers their certification program as the liability / lawyer thing is a real issue these days! Teach a reloading class on your own and if some nut blows himself up, chances are some lawyer will come a knocking on your door. As a certified instructor you have a defined program you are trained to present the material and you also get access to insurance and the backing of the NRA. As good a thing as you're trying to do you may wish to think again. Its unfortunate what the lawyers have done to us.

Scout Master 54

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Scout Master has EXACTLY the right idea. Go with an NRA Certified Instructor. To find an instructor in your area go to: http://www.reload-nrma.com/

The book used for the class,NRA Guide to Reloading, is also very good, and it is available from most of the mail order places, as well as getting it as course material. The reason I know about this is I am an instructor. You will not be disappointed. You will learn alot of good, safe stuff, and what equipment you need and more importantly, what you DON'T need (spelled $$$). sundog

Posts: 287 | Location: Koweta Mission, OK | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Send me a mailing address and I'll send you some loose brass. I have tons in '06 and 308. Maybe some more stuff after I look around.
Good luck,
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote