New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flash Hole Uniformer
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have new brass for the .221 rem fireball and was going to uniform the flash hole. I have not loaded a small caliber like this before and would like to know if you open the flash hole up to the diameter of the uniformer even in this small rifle cartridge? It seam a little too large a hole. I have a lyman uniformer and it produces a 0.090" flash hole. This cartridge is used in a rifle not the handgun. Is it ok to open up the flash hole on a small rifle cartridge to this diameter? or should I only chamfer the internal surface of the flash hole (deburr inside hole surface).

Posts: 157 | Location: Kenosha, WI | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
thumbPersonally I think this is a significant question. thumbA couple times I asked if anyone had any data showing the affect of different size flash holes Frowner and never got any good answers. Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There has been a couple of articles written about research done on flash hole size. As best I can remember, within reason, it doesn't make any difference.
Why not ream out a half dozen to .090 and leave a half dozen (dont chamfer the inside or anything) as it and compare them with regards to velocity and accuracy.
And, of course, let us know.