New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Piggyback conversions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do these setups work OK? Are they worth the money ? I am thinking of getting one to load 9mm and 38/357 .Are they hard to setup? I think I would rather go this way than with a turret press . If I understand things correctly a turret does one cartridge at a time , to completion and the piggyback does a continuous string ,is that correct? Any advice or comments welcome . Thanks

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There have been four versions of the piggyback. The first two were ROYAL pains in the ... I wouldn't recommend either. The third model is excellent. I've got two.

The third and fourth models both use the RCBS strip primer system. That primer system works VERY VERY well though finding primers in those strips can be a bit difficult.

Posts: 116 | Location: flagstaff, arizona | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the 1st,3rd or 4th,but the #2 version was a joke and drove me to Dillon for which I'm thankful. [Wink] As for the APS primer strips,get a RCBS Strip Loader and you can load them up with any brand of primer you want.

[ 11-06-2003, 11:15: Message edited by: jsr ]

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim: I own a Piggyback 2 and am very pleased with it. I also at one time owned the original Piggyback and was not pleased with it. One suggestion: prime your cases off of the press with a good hand tool (I use the Hornady). I also own a Dillon and have to admit the Piggyback 2 is smoother to operate. And yes, I prime my cases off of the press with the Dillon also (never have trusted the safety of primer tubes, whether shielded or not).

one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought the PIGGY BACK ! and it just plaane did not work. I guess that is the reason I went with a Hornady Projector.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've been using a Piggy Back II to load handgun ammo for about for about 12 years. I loaded mostly .45 Colt but also 9mm & .38/.357. It workes fine for the fatter cases but 9mm/.38 cases won't reliably actuate the case detector at the charging station. The idea that one can load .223 ammo on the PBII is Urban Legend! Don't even try.

As of yesterday I've migrated all of my volume handgun loading to my Dillon 550 and my Piggy Back II is going up for sale soon!

I don't believe there is an upgrade path from PBII to PBIII or IV otherwise I'd be doing that. I understand the III & IV have case actuated powder measuring systems more like Dillon's.

Like Shootshell said, the PB is smoother than the Dillon.

Posts: 20 | Location: Montana | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i've got a piggy 2 and have had it since RCBS replaced my piggy one with it......i now use the case activated powder measure conversion with it and it works fine.....the piggy 3's don't interest me since they did away with the auto index feature....DICK

Posts: 8 | Location: NC | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, this is strange. I see about a 50/50 split here. Why? Are the ones that dont work built incorrectly or installed incorrectly? Does RCBS try to remedy the ones that dont work? 50-50 odds of getting a good one are not such good odds when it comes to buying a press.

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim: My Piggyback 2 has the case activated powder drop attachment. I have never had a problem with smaller calibers indexing improperly. I think it is worth the money; especially if you have a Rockchuker press on hand.