Find
Notify
Tools

finacky chrony F1
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted
I just bought a chrony F1 last weekend and have used it 3 times since then. It seems like the thing is very particular about when it pics up a reading. The place I shoot, you shoot to the north and there is an awning that shades the benches. unless the sun is over head the area where you set the chorny up is shaded most parts of the day. I have been having trouble picking up readings even when there are no clouds out. Is there any extra tips I may try to make getting readings more consistatnt?? I have tried it with and without the difusors. also I have gotten readings on factory ammo with 80-90 fps extreme spreads is this normal

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got back from the range,I was shooting groups over my F-1. In order to get more reading,I shoot down the middle at the height of brass coupling,the diffusors are for cloudless days,clouds do the same thing.Try felt tipping the bullets black,that will help.I had to do this for some one's cast bullets.And yes about factory velocities.

You can hunt longer with the wind at your back

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine was a very easy fix. I sold it and bought an Oehler. Problems like yours are now a thing of the past.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As far as I can tell, you the Chrony does not work when in the shade. Whether from clouds, or from awnings, you have to be able to see the shadow of the tripod and the Chrony.

I discovered this fairly early on. The place I shoot, just north of you, we shoot to the East. There is an awning over the shooting stations. I was shooting late in the afternoon, and as soon as the shade reached the Chrony, the readings stopped.

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had the opposite problem with mine. Brite sunny days would give me wacky readings. A piece of frosty scotchtape across the screens fixed that But always take a .22 rimfire with you to make sure it's working properly. Works for me.

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
Mines like Dans, hate too bright of light. Iset it in slight shade yet open to the sky. I always fire some 22lr across to test, then use whatever rifle. I learned this testing .416 ammo and was into the 8th one before i had it set right. That wastes money that I don't have.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
'
quote:
Originally posted by cliffs2:
Mine was a very easy fix. I sold it and bought an Oehler. Problems like yours are now a thing of the past.
"

Me too thumbdownroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Mine also reacted to gun smoke. eek2roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used Chronys for years, a Beta model with printer and a Gamma model with printer. I liked them after I learned how to use them, yep on some days I cussed and even kicked them. I did learn their fickle ways and wore out many diffusers, replacing them with white cardboard. I then got a chance to buy a very cheap and little used Oehler 35P and have never looked back. I still don't know why I stuck with the Chronys as long as I did. They work but on the bright days you better be ready to interpolate those high numbers, or your buddies will think you are nuts and be able to prove it. boohoo Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine does ok in the shade of the awning I guess,but I will use a 22 next time.Our range faces east.But the cheapest tripod I could find cost almost as much the rebuilt F-1.

You can hunt longer with the wind at your back

Posts: 480 | Location: B.C.,Canada | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Takes a little trial and error to learn their likes and dislikes. However, mine has shown the same readings as the spendy Oehlers etc, when compared side by side.

The comparisons were down by the guys that owned the spendier ones. They noted that I can set up a chrony and be done in the time it takes them to set up the Oehler.

I also do the 22LR testing, and it can save a lot of frustrations when something is not cooperating.

Cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
"[QUOTE]Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
Takes a little trial and error to learn their likes and dislikes. However, mine has shown the same readings as the spendy Oehlers etc, when compared side by side." Confused

Personally Prop Job I think you are just one of the lucky ones. I've owned Three(3) Chronies, Each a little different and I now HAPPILY own an Oehler. I'm not much on sophitication but I am a Utilitarian when it comes to performance.It amazes me how you get one Chrony that's good and I strike out three times and that when I try to get help from Chrony I get a fella on the phone with a near eastern accent telling me "Oh that is really too bad- - - " and that's as far as their help went other than telling me to go to Radio shake to buy a longer cable to prvent the instrument from reading GUN SMOKE. thumbdown homer Going to the range right now, bewilderedroger

one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
The ohlers look like way too much of a PIA to set up, one guy was setting his up he had to dink with it so much I was just about done chornying my loads. Plus if there is a little wind it looked like that thing would get blown all over the place

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can set up my Oehler within 30 seconds that it takes anyone to set up a Chrony, and then when I get a reading, I know it is correct. It is as simple as leaving your tripod setup to height, screwing on the bar, placing the diffusers on, plug-in to the printer and start shooting. Shady, bright or whatever conditions you want present no problem and you don't have to worry about shooting the guts of the machine. Wink Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Never had the pleasure of using the Rolls Royce of the chrono world but the Chrony works just fine for us working guys. They can be a little PIA until you figure them out. If it wasn't for the Chrony I doubt I would have owned a chronograph. Thats a fact. You can bitch about them all you want but they work. I know, I've had some 1200fps readings from my ACP but that's why you should take along the .22.... For what it's worth. I have lined up 2 Chrony's, 1 Pact all together.....shot several pistols and rifles thru them, like 2/3 shots per chrono and they were all consistent to about 30fps. These guys all cost around $100/150 and they work. To me it beats the hell out of questimating. Like everything else buy the best you can afford but having beats the hell out of not having. And they work if you do a little too.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
"[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dan in Wa:
Never had the pleasure of using the Rolls Royce of the chrono world but the Chrony works just fine for us working guys."

I take umbridge at that I do. I worked all my life had three chronies and desided to save my money boohooand get the Red Rider eek2 of the chrono world because IT WORKS. Now, Dan, if you have good luck with and enjoy your chrony that's what counts.

Today with a number of my RETIRED beerbuddies I put about 200 rounds over my Oehler and confidently logged every shot.Than I got in my paid for, expensive, Ford Ranger pickup. I could have bought 10 Oehlers for what I saved on that Ranger and not buying an SUV. RazzerI guess it's a matter of priorities,Dan. Live modestly and spend all you money on the shooting sports. sofaroger

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm w/ Cliff here, still have my PACT, but got tired of missing readings. I bought an Oehler & it's wellworth the price they charge. It doesn't seem to matter what kind of light I have, it just always works.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Cliff,
As a matter of fact..... I do drive a Ford Ranger. And you are entitled to your opioion.

posted Hide Post
Cliff,
Since it's 8:00, whiskey sounds good. Now none of that fancy stuff, MacNAUGTON works for me sir.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can set up my Oehler in about a minute. I leave the skyscreens on the sensors. A little electrical tape holds them together just fine. The wires I taped up with some more tape. I walk down to the bunker to place my target, which everbody has to do, then put up my tripod with the skyscreens already mounted, line it up with the target and plug it in. A minute or two is all it takes and I can BELIEVE the readings without have to shoot an unreliable 22 bullet over the sensors and then rely on someone elses 2 cent bullet for my readings. You can buy the Oehler for $225 without the printer. Let's say your chrony reads low, as mine did compered to everybody elses chrony or whatever. How much did I spend on bullets and powder and primers trying to get the velocity out of my rifles when they all read low, except on certain days when the stars were aligned just right so the light was good. Just on one Weatherby 3006 alone that I put well over 500 shots through looking for that magic load that would get me up close to 3000 fps and reliable accuracy with a 150 gr bullet. At 30 cents apiece, that's $150. Good riddance to that red piece of crap.

Posts: 231 | Location: Abbotsford, Wis. | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Cliff,
Thats why we dumb f##ks take .22's

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One thing to remember when you shoot your Chrony they will exchange it cheaply.
If you haven't shot it yet, you will.
Good luck1

Posts: 1028 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I struggled with a red chrony for a few sessions. The velocities were way low with many errors. I sent it back for a Beta Master Chrony.
I live in Ontario and turn around time was about
10 days.

The unit has a remote display. Readings seem accurate with no surprises. I put electrical tape on the screen rods 6" above the sensor and align my crosshairs with the black tape. In ten sessions the only error reading came from flies buzzing over one sensor. I'm very satisfied.

Posts: 10 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tripod: KMart sells a little tripod that collapses to about 12", and extends to just the right height for a chronograph, for $9.95. It's in the camera section, hanging on the wall with accessories. It fits nicely in a range box or bag.

I am always puzzled by people whose Chrony's are erratic. I've had two and both have worked perfectly and consistently from day 1. Well, the first one did until it connected with a 9x18 round.

I'm not saying others don't have problems... what I'm saying is that I don't understand what is different between their setup and mine. I've had no problems, as long as I give it decent lighting conditions to work in.

Prove all things; hold fast to that which is good.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cliffs2:

I second that. Get an Oehler.

As for the expense, well I bought mine 10-years ago and haven't had a problem with it. I suspect that it will still be working in another 10.

Amortize that initial purchase price over 20-years and the Oehler costs you about $15/year.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
yep my Chrony was awfully particular about it's light. Too much sun, no numbers. Too much shade, no numbers. I sent it back 3 times, still a problem with light not beiong just right. Life is too short to waste valuable range time with a finicky chrony. I am a busy man with much to accomplish each day. It is a long drive to the range and back. I have to find time in my busy schedule to handload. After all that and I take a half day to go to the range and try out loads and get no numbers, You got a P#$$ed shooter on your hands. I too got a oehler 35 and get numbers all the time except in the dark.

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
Anybody use a CE ProChrono? I hear they are maybe a little better than the Chrony.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote