Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

70gr Barnes TSX in 22-250Rem
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone got the 70gr Barnes TSX bullet to stabilize in a Ruger M77 22-250 with a 1 in 14 inch Twist? This should make a great bullet for medium range antelope hunting. If anyone got it right please post the load and the velocity as well as some notes on accuracy, Help will be gladly appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think you'll get the 70 gr to work in a 1 in 14 twist. Needs to spin around a bit faster.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stabalization was marginal at best in my 223 WSSM with a 1 in 10 twist. Leave those 70gr bullets for the guns with fast twist guns.

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think one of the lighter Barnes bullets would be a better option if you want to use your .22-250.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lourens:
Has anyone got the 70gr Barnes TSX bullet to stabilize in a Ruger M77 22-250 with a 1 in 14 inch Twist? This should make a great bullet for medium range antelope hunting. If anyone got it right please post the load and the velocity as well as some notes on accuracy, Help will be gladly appreciated.

It is length, not weight, that determines if the twist is fast enough. I havce had good accuracy with the Speer 70-grain semi-pointed bullets in the .22/.250 with 1/14" twist, but anything longer didn't work!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
But the barnes tsx is longer than a speer 70gr. It is pure copper with a hollow point. It is way too long for a 14 twist bore.