New
Find
Notify
Tools

CT Partion Gold vs Nolser Partition
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Shooter's Pro shop has some on 2nds on sale at a fair price. Is there any practical difference betweenthe CT, Combined Technology, and the standard partiion. Of course I'm sure the internal ballistices will be different unless the two are carbon copies but what about the terminal balistics?

TIA,

ned

it's a fresh wind that ... Blows Against the Empire

Posts: 225 | Location: houston, tx | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I believe the CT bullet has the partition moved a bit forward of that on the std partition bullets. This gives a slightly smaller expanded diameter and less lead in the nose section to blow away, but should give deeper penatration. They use the same load data in the new manual for both styles.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I find the CT a tougher bullet, based on wetpack tests. I would use them in a magnum where I wanted to make sure I got the penetration I wanted, but shy away from them in std. calibers or if shooting out @ 400yds,JMO.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I can jump in on this one. I had the priveledge of designing the tooling on the Partition Gold Product line and I made all of the tooling drawings for the Partition line.

Ol' Joe is correct, the partition is moved farther forward on the Gold, the partition is also thicker and the bullet is designed for an 80% weight retention vs the 66% weight retention of the standard Partition. The Gold also has a little thinner wall at the very forward end of the jacket mouth which allows it to expand at a little lower velocity than the Partition.

The rear core is contained in a steel cup which keeps the rear shank from upsetting. The Partition and the partition gold penetrate about the same but the Gold maintains a larger frontal area and makes for a larger wound channel (longer). A very rough example would be to call the shape of the partition penetration to be shaped like a stretched beet, with a bulb shortly after entry then tapering down very quickly. The Gold is more like a carrot, with the bulb not being as large but the taper being much slower.

They are both great bullets and one thing to keep in mind is that the Partition Gold is not expected to be made any more. I do not know for sure if it has been officially discontinued but I do not think they intend to make any more. So either stock up or stick to the regular partition. But then again how many will you shoot each year? Five hundred may last a lifetime.

I hope this helps.
Joe

Posts: 208 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
keep in mind is that the Partition Gold is not expected to be made any more. I do not know for sure if it has been officially discontinued but I do not think they intend to make any more.

That sucks! Nosler should let the fail safe go long before the PG, in my opinion anyway.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But Nosler doesn't make the Fail Safe.

Posts: 199 | Location: Rochester, Washington | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nosler doesn't make the Fail Safe.

fail safe

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nosler packages and sells the Fail Safe for Winchester as part of the CT partnership.
Winchester manufacturers the Fail Safe bullets then ships them to Nosler for packaging.

Joe

Posts: 208 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 recovered 180 grain CT Partitions..... number 1 was recovered from a zebra stallion and weighs 140 grains......number 2 was recovered from a gemsbok bull and weighs 135 grains.......both were fired from a 300 win mag. Pretty close to the 80% retained rate design goal!

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote