Find
Notify
Tools

Re: If you could publish a reloading manual
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Steve Malinverni
posted
I've some doubt on Accuracy loads, too much variables, inconsistent info.
For example I tested 2 brand of cases for my 22K-Hornet, Remington and RWS.
To have more or less the same group using one or the other I must put a 1.5 grain less in RWS cases. Ok these data are described on manual, but if one start from the best accuracy load for that caliber, and firmly belive to have an fantastic groups at the first serie, well probably belive also that donkeys fly.

Posts: 1653 | Location: Milano Italy | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
1) Yes, pressures would be very nice.

2) And yes, less about powders of poorly-matched burning rate.

3) Do a better job matching rounds to typical factory barrel lengths. If some rounds are common in quite different barrel lengths, show both.

4) Report average group size with each load.

5) Report case life.

6) Impact velocity window for reliable expansion.

Here's things I would omit:

1) Load density - I don't really care.

2) Standard versus magnum primer based on powder - I'm not sure this is a critical matter for the most part. Just pick one and leave it at that...

3) Compressed versus not compressed - I don't really care.

4) The ballistic tables like Speer or the newest Nosler manual. I don't want to do a bunch of cross-refencing and calculator punching. Just publish the damn table and charge me an extra $1 for the extra pages.

5) I don't really like when the manual's cartridge descriptions are written by gun writers. I'm not interested in a sales pitch, I just want to learn about the round's history and potential (accuracy, power, etc) and lab performance in an objective way.

6) Water capacity - I don't really care.

Anyway...

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
More 'comments from the lab'...I know that they don't want to criticise anything in print, but at least give us some good info and let us read between the lines...

The guys testing these loads get to know them better in a week than most of us in our lifetimes...

Comparisons between bullet types of the same weight, i.e. MV and max load changes from solid copper to copper jacketed to spitzer to round nose to coated to ...

Oh, and all this in a booklet less than 20 pages please!!! Okay, less then 20 CD's anyway!

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
Put all reloading data in PDF format so anyone can read it. And most important make it available to down load for free. The Powder and bullet manufactures make enough money on there products without charging for reloading manuals. Not the crap they list on there web sites already, but something that you could really use. Also have a good balistic caculator downloadable. IMHO

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see the velocity numbers done in factory barrels and chambers.

Posts: 12604 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd like to add two whole sections to your manual.

One would be titled "Benchrest Cartridges" and would cover such items as the .30-BR, .22 PPC, .30 PPC, .220 Russian, etc. Considering the many matches sponsored by the Cast Bullet Association, I'd consider having a part of this section devoted to the cast bullet BR cartridges too, such as the .30 Kern, .30 Long, .30 PPC, .32 Miller Short, etc.

My other added section would be titled "Long Range BR Cartridges", and would include such items as the heavy bullet/VLD loadings of the 6.5/.284, the 6 BR, the 6.5x55 Ackley Improved, the .30 Baer (SP?), the various VLD .338"s, and so forth and so on.

If nothing else, I think these should be added just for historical purposes. One hundred years from now, if we can still own rifles, everyone will be able to know about all kinds of basically useless (un-needed) cartridges the big companies tried to promote for sales purposes, but very little textual material will be available regards real attempts at accuracy cartridges, outside of old copies of Precision Shooting magazine...and much of that really isn't lab tested.

I know I sure wish we currently had such information on the old "Schuetzen" catridges. Come to think of it, that would make a great 3rd added section..."Schuetzen Catridges"....

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Personally, I'd like to add two whole sections to your manual.

One would be titled "Benchrest Cartridges" and would cover such items as the .30-BR, .22 PPC, .30 PPC, .220 Russian, etc. Considering the many matches sponsored by the Cast Bullet Association, I'd consider having a part of this section devoted to the cast bullet BR cartridges too, such as the .30 Kern, .30 Long, .30 PPC, .32 Miller short, etc.

My other added section would be titled "Long Range BR Cartridges", and would include such items as the heavy bullet/VLD loadings of the 6.5/.284, the 6 BR, the 6.5x55 Ackley Improved, the .30 Baer (SP?), the various VLD .338"s, and so forth and so on.

If nothing else, I think these should be added just for historical purposes. One hundred years from now, if we can still own rifles, everyone will be able to know about all kinds of basically useless (un-needed) cartridges the big companies tried to promote for sales purposes, but very little textual material will be available regards real attempts at accuracy cartridges, outside of old copies of Precision Shooting magazine...and much of that really isn't lab tested.

I know I sure wish we currently had such information on the old "Schuetzen" catridges. Come to think of it, that would make a great 3rd added section..."Schuetzen Catridges"....

Alberta Canuck

Alberta Canuck

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobinB
posted Hide Post
I'd like it to include a complete list of obsolete and wildcat cartridges. Not so much for reloading, but as a reference point for when they are mentioned in conversation.

I'd also like it to come on some sort of electronic media.

Robin

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I'd include a section on Milsurp powders. Also a section on Cast bullets would be nice.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
what information would it contain?

Like most of us, I have accumulated just about every manual published, and I like bits and pieces of all of them, but none "has it all".

If I were "boss", I would

1) list case capacities in water, a-la-Barnes, but for more than one brand (e.g. Winchester and Federal)
2) list "accuracy loads" and consistent loads, a-la- Nosler and Sierra
3) list case histories in greater detail
4) list muzzle energy and down range energy, a-la-Barnes (but I would get them under the correct heading )
5) list more powders in the correct burn rate, and leave out the "might work in a pinch" ones.
6) list ES or SD for a couple of primers with each accuracy load.
7) list pressure (and SD) for starting and max loads

What would you add-subtract? Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote