New
Find
Notify
Tools

200 GR 40 S&W loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I picked up a mess of 180 and 200 grain hard cast bullets from a guy that was getting out of competitive shooting. I can find plenty of load data on the 180 but not much on the 200. Guess you would have to use a fast burning powder as there wouln not be a lot of room in the case. Any suggestions?

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
My guess is that the 200g .40's were originally intended for a 10MM as that is a common bullet weight for that caliber.

I've loaded a ton of 180g. in the .40 S&W using Power Pistol and have had good accuracy and velocity. It has been running around 1100-1150fps depending on the shooter we are using. That is on the warm side and getting close to some 10MM performance.

In fact due to that combo of 180g hard cast and Power Pistol I have stopped looking for a 10MM to add to the safe.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. The box is from Precision in Kemp TX and says 200 grain 40 cal on the box.

Got 1500 rounds for sixty bucks so guessed I could not go wrong. Will have to get with him for a recipe

one of us
posted Hide Post
When the .40 came out they experimented with many things including a 200 gr bullet .But there's really not enough room for powder in that small case to push the bullet fast enough. But the 40 has lots of bullet choice now from 135 to 180 ,Great cartidge !!

One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
The box will say .40 if its for a 40 S&W or a 10MM. The 10MM is more suited for the 200 grain bullets; with that being said:::::

I used 5 grains of Unique in my .40 with 200 grain XTP's and cast bullets. This was in a Beretta 96. You might not want to load as hot in a Glock. What gun you using?

Might want to start a little lower on the powder charges.

God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
look at the Accurate powders site - I think you will find loads there.

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote