New
Find
Notify
Tools

.358 STA Retumbo loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone using Retumbo in the .358 STA and willing to share loads?

Posts: 136 | Location: mn | Registered: 03 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never tried it in mine as H-1000 is too slow for 250's in my STA. Mine likes old H-4831 (long stick, Scottish) and RL-19 with the 250's.

Posts: 212 | Location: Longmont, CO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot two STA's and they both like RL-22 and will kick and scream if I don't use it. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2354 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention that I have some 280 grain Woodleigh's and thought Retumbo might work with heavy for caliber bullets.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
H-1000 or RETUMBO might work for the 280's but I can't say for sure as all of my experience has been with the 250's. Frowner

Posts: 212 | Location: Longmont, CO | Registered: 30 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rflshtr ----- I have shot the 270 grain North Fork bullet extensively in North America (Elk) and Africa (Zebra-Kongonia-Impala) and RL-22 is by far my best powder. I have also shot the 280 grain Swift A-Frame and the same is true of it. My load is 90 grains RL-22 with a Fed 215M primer with both bullets with chronographed speeds of 2850 fps too 2950 fps, depending on which rifle I shoot. There is no tougher or more accurate bullet than the North Fork 270 grain for my rifles. Good shooting.

phurley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also have some 310 grain Woodleighs. Any suggestions for them? Thanks for all the info.

one of us
posted Hide Post
rflshtr ----- I have never loaded for any of the Woodleigh bullets, but someday hope to. I load 90 grains of RL-22 for the 270 and 280 grain bullets, if I were starting with the 310 gr. Woodleigh it would be with 82 grains and work up from there, with the Fed 215M primer. The match primer is not necessary, but that is what I always use. I am attempting to find a Woodleigh reloading manual, realizing that the .358 STA loads would probably not be listed. The STA does appear in the A-Square, Nosler, and the Barnes book (the one with the blue coated bullets in it) prior the the latest one published. Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rflshtr:
I forgot to mention that I have some 280 grain Woodleigh's and thought Retumbo might work with heavy for caliber bullets.

Are you sure the Woodleigh's are 280gr? They don't currently list this weight in 35cal ... though it may be coming as should spitzer 225gr and 250gr in '09.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Con-I bought them used and was told they were Woodleigh's. Maybe they are older A Frame's.