Find
Notify
Tools

Need Sierra 270 Win COAL
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of RugerNiner
posted
I'm reloading a 270 Winchester using 52 grains of Hodgdon H4350.
The bullet is a 110 grain Sierra Pro-Hunter Spitzer(1810).
I'm thinking about 3.300 COAL.
What does the book say?
Thanks, Smiler

Posts: 35 | Location: Lancaster, Pa | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sierra Edition V shows a OAL of 3.275 for the #1810 110SPT in the 270 Winchester. They don't list H4350 but, that should work out well.
Butch

So many guns so little time.

Posts: 70 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 November 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
If your OAL, fits the magazine, or is shorter, due to bullet length, you are good to go. Suggested OAL'S, are just that, suggested, and I have found some listed lengths too long for some magazines. Of course if you are using a single shot, or are loading one round at a time, set the bullet .010 of the lands and go shoot. BTW, the 270 is my favorite cartridge, and for years, I shot the 100/110 bullet for varmints.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RugerNiner
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
I'm using them in a Remington 700 ADL.

Posts: 35 | Location: Lancaster, Pa | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
What does the book say?

Book OAL is what the book makers used, no more and no less. We not only can but should adjust the OAL just as we do the book powder charges until we find what works best for us.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with the 90gr Sierra's in my Winchester 70 at magazine length.

It really launches the Prarie dogs shocker

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote