Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Sierra Gamekings
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted
This animal was taken just a couple of hours ago.

Dressed weight was 160 pounds, distance was 425 yards, caliber was 7MM Remington Magnum, rifle was Ruger 77R, and the bullet was a Sierra 168 grain HPBT.

The animal dropped on the spot without taking one step...and there was NO meat damage...it was a neck shot.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
The only hunting bullets on my loading bench are from Hornady, Nosler, Swift, and Woodleigh. Not that there aren't other good bullets but Sierra is not among the hunting bullets I use.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
As far as I'm concerned, MLC, your thinking is unflawed and accurate.

Ray, however , seems to be saying that he has seen a lot of bullet selection screw ups so why not pay the extra .25/shot and eliminate posible bullet failures do to velocity associated with bullet construction. In other words use a bullet that works at a wide velocity spread. No fault there either.

Now if you know that the Sierra will work for you at the veocities the bullet hits the game, for your application you got it nailed. If my livlyhood were on the line I would insist that my clients use at least a Nosler.

My own preference when I was a young sprout in the 50s and 60s was a Barnes' original. Even in the 6mmX.270IMP I never had a failure with the Barnes' bullet. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jeffeosso,

Bison/buffalo - never shot one at over 60-70 yards usually closer than 40 yards. Closest was about 15 yards.

Deer - 10 feet to ~ 700 yards (most deer in the 10 yard to 50 yard range)

Elk - 15 yards to ~ 300 yards

Pronghorn - only shot two both ~ 300 yards

Rabbits - ~ 10 feet to 150 yards or so

Sparrows - few feet to 150 yards or so

Dogs - few feet to ~ 650 yards

Cats - few feet to ~ 350 yards

etc
etc
etc

Yeah I a real sniper! I suggest you either see a shrink or start ignoring me. Of course you could go do SOME REAL HUNTING and discover the REAL ranges game animals are shot at. In other words stop shooting feral hogs in Texas and get out to the Rockies, Canada, Alaska, Africa, etc, and shoot some REAL game animals.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Marsh Mule,

That looks like great bullet performance to me. That picture reminds me of alot of other Sierra GKs I've seen in pictures, all textbook mushrooms.

"The Proof is in the Puddin."

Good Luck!

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote