THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Form .260 Rem brass from '06: will it work?
 Login/Join

<Jordan>
posted
Gentlemen:

I have some Lake City national match -06 brass. I want to form it into .260 Rem brass. What should pI purchase in the way of form dies for this task? I was thinking of a .308 FL form die [if there is such a thing], and then simply running the formed .308 brass through the .260 Rem FL die. Of course, there will be some neck turning.

Thanks,

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think that approach would work but it seems a bit much effort. Got a lot of the '06 brass? Guessing on this but reaming might be more appropriate than turning in regards to neck wall thickness. Haven't attempted your endeavor though.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Jordan,

You can of course do it, but you are going to do a lot of hard work.

I form all my 260 brass from RWS match cases, and have to turn the necks down.

I have formed 30 Phoenix brass from the parent 416 Rigby. And I can tell you, it was not a very easy job at all. I made enough cases to develop some loads in, and that is it.

Posts: 68614 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
Gentlemen:

Thanks for the input. FWIW: my rational for using Lake City '06 National Match brass is to take advantage of its supposed greater strength in the hope of loading a little hotter and getting a meaningful velocity gain over .260 Rem. factory brass. Actually, I will be necking the formed .260 brass down to .25 caliber. My rifle will be chambered in Duane Spooner's wildcat---the .257 DGR.

It was a close call between the .250 Savage Imp. and .257 DGR. I spoke with a gunsmith (Mark ???, Kailua Custom) who gets an honest 3100 fps from a 20" tube in .250 Savage Improved using Lake City National Match parent brass. That seems to me to be phenomenal performance. He swears by the Lake City national match brass. I hope to do a little bit better than the Savage Imp. with the .257 DGR [it has a few grains more powder capacity]. I'd like to drive a 115 grain pill to 3000 fps from a 20.5" tube.

I continue to have second thoughts about the .257 DGR as opposed to simply going with the .250 Savage Improved. But I have already ordered a reamer and made the committment. The .250 Savage Imp. is an incredibly efficient cartridge, but I think the .257 DGR should work well---hopefully a little faster than the .250 Savage.

Some of you will undoubtedly wonder why I don't just go with a larger case---say the .257 Bob, or .257 Ackley to be assured of meeting my velocity goal. I am also really interested in efficiency. Because I am using such a short tube, I think it best that I not use a case larger than the .308 family.

As a matter of curiosity, is there anyone here who can authoritatively say that the .250 Savage Imp. will drive a 115 grain pill to 3000 fps from a 20.5" tube?

Any input [including criticism!] is appreciated.

Thanks,

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jordan:

As a matter of curiosity, is there anyone here who can authoritatively say that the .250 Savage Imp. will drive a 115 grain pill to 3000 fps from a 20.5" tube?

Not by me, it won't.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote