New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast bullets Loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking for a way to decrease the cost of my handloads. I want something that'll put 3 rounds into 2" or less at 100 yards. I'll be using themto practice my offhand shooting at gongs at 100 yards.

I thought about trying a cast bullet in my 30-06 and 300 WM at approx 2000 fps. Is this feasible? Do I have to size the cast bullets or lube them? I dont really want to buy any additional equiptment. If I can't load cast bullets with my current setup i'm not interested.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes and no. No, you don't have to size cast bullets. Yes, they will need to be lubed, and at 2000 fps, gas checked. You could get by with Lee tumble lube and a Lee push-thru sizer, about $15.

You can also buy storebought cast bullets ready to shoot, but that would defeat the purpose.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Elk hunter...

Remington Corelokts on bulk, via midway or several of the other places.. I use Cabellas.. are cheap enough....around 10cents per bullet, which is cheaper than you can buy cast bullets..

I use cast bullet load data, and 2 inches at 100 yds, is no big accomplishment off the bench...

Doing it off hand takes practice...

But cast bullet loads are definitely up to it..with jacketed bullets...

For powder recommendations.. SR 4759, Unique, Blue Dot, IMR 4198, IMR 4227, RL 7 and 2400 are definitely worth looking at for 2000 fps...

I do a lot of shooting, and even hunting with that velocity...

for hunting Ballistic Tips and Mag Tip bullets open up well at those lower velocities... as do plain old corelokt Remingtons...

Just passing on my experienced results with them..

good luck on the project..
cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found some cast bullets at Midway for around .05 a piece. If I have to lube them etc... the extra time doesn't make them worth the money. I'll buy the Remington bulk bullets instead.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by elkhunter:
I'm looking for a way to decrease the cost of my handloads. I want something that'll put 3 rounds into 2" or less at 100 yards. I'll be using themto practice my offhand shooting at gongs at 100 yards.

I thought about trying a cast bullet in my 30-06 and 300 WM at approx 2000 fps. Is this feasible? Do I have to size the cast bullets or lube them? I dont really want to buy any additional equiptment. If I can't load cast bullets with my current setup i'm not interested.

Not only is it feasable, Just today I was shoting lead gas checked bullets rangeing from 163 gr. to 197gr. Four diferent weights driven by light 4759 and 2400 charges were shooting 3 shot group at 1/2" at 50 yds. All the bullets were of the same design but varied in length forward of the baring surface. These were cast many moons ago by an elderly gentleman who is probably long gone.

I intend to get these great bullets identified by one of our casting gurus ( I am Not) and a buddy of mine and I may start casting and get serious about this type shooting. This was done in a Belgen commercial, light weight 30/06 Mauser that probably has had over 5000 rounds put through it. I had a great day with some really pleasant shooting. lol thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if they have rifle bullets or not. But, check out: www.berrysmfg.com in St. George Ut. They have great electrical coated handgun bullets cheap and their price's include shipping.
They also sell a really good $50 shaker with a lifetime warranty, even for the lids. They've expanded product lines since I looked at their site so am not current on their offerings.

Guys at my range have been using cast real hard in various 30's in 200yd match's and winning.

Lee's 6 cavity molds from Midway run about $50 with handles. That's the way to go, make a big production run for your time spent casting. That's how I do it, but, don't shoot them in rifles except plinkers.

It's a great frustration til you learn the tricks. Low velocity, light loads, high priced gas checks. Hell, they used to sell for $3/2000. They've priced me out of using them.

IF you just want something to shoot for the noise and enjoyment. Go with a light bullet and light charge for a shorter range.

IF that's not what you're looking for, better listen to others.

But, for lube, can't beat the Lee Alox. Just dump some in a bowl, drip some alox on them and swirl. Dump onto a cardboard and let dry/cure over night. $1-2 bottle will lube several thousand with very little effort and no other expense.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 6030 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by georgeld:
Don't know if they have rifle bullets or not. But, check out: www.berrysmfg.com in St. George Ut. They have great electrical coated handgun bullets cheap and their price's include shipping.George

FYI. Roll Eyes So far I've not had any good results with the Berry plated 150gr. .308 FP bullet driving it between 1400 and 1600 fps. Will continue to try to get better performance from them. boohooroger

thumbTODAYJUNE 7, 06with the Berry 150 gr. plated bullet and a load of 20 gr. 4759, at 1800 fps. my partner shot a 5 shot 3/8" group at 50 yds.out of an old .308 that had been rechambered from an .308BR. clappleasant surprise. roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,t kknow wieght bullets your talking about,but if you want to shoot a bullet that cost less,try in the 30 cal,speer 100 gr half jacketed bullets made for the mi carbine. They are a blast to plink with ect. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote