New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading press
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I upgraded from a RCBS Piggyback to a Dillon RL 550. I owed the Piggyback for about 8 years. Only fault I with the RCBS was I couldn't reload rifle calibers on it. I ordered a the 550 and it hasn't worked as advertised. It's going back. I still have my old trusty RCBS Rock Chucker and have been doing most of my reloading on it.

Has anyone used Hornady's progressive L-N-L press? Trying to get some feedback before I purchase one.

Thanks.

Posts: 183 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Just curious what you didn't like about the D550? [Confused] I have (2) & only load pistol ammo, but I find them to be one of the best progressives on the market.
I use a RCBS Ammo Master for my rifle ammo (BIG loading window). I don't shoot rifle ammo in large enough quantity to load them on a progressive.

[ 04-08-2003, 00:01: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't meter powder correctly. Heck sometimes it wouldn't drop powder at all. It was also difficult to adjust the belling on long pistol cases like the 454 Casull.
Personally I never compaired to my old Piggyback.

Posts: 183 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado | Registered: 21 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an early Hornady Projector from the mid 19980's. My only complaint was the case ejector which has been upgraded to a much heavier one. As for the Hornady customer service, the one time I called them I was impressed, I asked about a shell holder for a Pacific press and they gave me the P/N for the needed part from RCBS! I have never in all the rounds I have reloaded never needed to call for help or parts. I think the Lock n Load would be a very inexpensive alternitive to the Dillon.

Posts: 906 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
I was wondering about the Redding Turret press. Has anyone any input

one of us
posted Hide Post
The stick powders don't meter well, you have to use ball powders. The machine works mighty fine, and I've been loading the 06 through it. Hope you haven't sent it back yet, you'll be sorry you did.

Posts: 66 | Location: Troy Montana | Registered: 28 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Have you called Dillon? They have a super customer service dept.

I have loaded thousands of 45ACP, 308 and 30-06 w/mine without any problems other that a couple of minor adjustments when I first got it. (Nothing a toll-free call wouldn't fix.)

I loaded lots of match grade 30-06 ammo using H 4895 and got acceptable accuracy with the measure. Will admit that ball powder gave almost no variation, but the 4895 metered closer than you can hold.

Good luck,
hm

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nashcat
posted Hide Post
I agree with hm1996. I've loaded thousands of rounds with my 550B and have not had any problems that couldn't be corrected with a call to Dillon or by using some common sense. Besides pistol ammo, I have loaded .222Rem, .280 Rem, 35 Rem, 7-30 Waters, and recently 7mm-08. I use a lot of 4895 with no problems and have had good luck with 4831SC. I feel that the Dillon powder measure is as good as the Lyman 55 that I have. Both will shear long grain powder as will most other measures that I have seen.

My $.02
Nashcat

Posts: 331 | Location: MiddleTennessee | Registered: 26 May 2002Reply With Quote
<El Viejo>
posted
I love my 550b, but I did have some problems with the powder measure. I found that I did not have the actuating lever tightened sufficiently, on the powder measure side, not at the bottom. Once I adjusted it, it works fine. It does have about a .10gr variation however. Dillon says that this in spec.

The do have a great service dpt. I have owned two of their machines for 10 years, and they have treated me very well.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's going back today. Only thing I am sorry about is selling my Piggyback.

I called Dillons service line a few times and they were no help. I asked why the powder bar wouldn't open all the way. Said it was "normal". Well this normal operation also had me almost load some cases with no powder in them! I explained everything to them. Read the owners manual several times.
Other calls included W296 binding the charge bar and stripping out the fail safe bar, belling station, and priming.
I just had enough with it not working for almost 4 months.
I'm glad Dillon is refunding my money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JD

You might want to check out the RCBS Pro 2000 progressive......it uses the standard RCBS powder measure (rotating drum type). In my opinion, the RCBS is a better machine than the 550......

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GonHuntin:
JD

You might want to check out the RCBS Pro 2000 progressive......it uses the standard RCBS powder measure (rotating drum type). In my opinion, the RCBS is a better machine than the 550......

I agree with you, RCBS machines are better! Like I said I never had any problems with my Piggy Back. Only thing was I wouldn't reload anything bigger than 223.

one of us
posted Hide Post
JD,

I haven't had a problem with mine, one. Once you understand how it mechanically works, it ain't too hard to figure out why it ain't workin and what needs to be done to correct it. If it never dumped powder there is only a couple things that it could be. First, the bar never returned to the fill position. Second, the bolt through the link and the bar loosened and the lever isn't moving the bar. Third, the thing isn't adjusted or assembled correctly. It sounds like you'd be happier with a different press, a simpler one. It is a little more than some people are used to dealing with, but it does work fine when adjusted correctly.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brent Moffitt:
JD,
It sounds like you'd be happier with a different press, a simpler one. It is a little more than some people are used to dealing with, but it does work fine when adjusted correctly.

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm sticking with RCBS. Simple and works everytime. Don't have to tinker with anything. I'm sure there are a lot of Dillons that work great. So after reading all the hype, I was pretty dissapointed that this one didn't work as advertised. I tinkered with it for 4 months. And called their Customer Service number.
And about the charge bar not opening up fully. When I called Dillon, they told me this was "normal".

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JD HHI 6092:
It's going back today. Only thing I am sorry about is selling my Piggyback.
<snipped>
I just had enough with it not working for almost 4 months.
I'm glad Dillon is refunding my money.

Sorry that it is not working out for you. I bought my Dillon 550 just over 2 yrs ago and since then have loaded over 20,000 rounds of various handgun ammo. My brother bought his about 5 weeks ago and reported no problems except for a little bit of over-flaring the case mouth on his first attempt at reloading some .308 Win. It is possible that you really do have something wrong with the powder actuation rod or whatever they call it. I had mine in backwards for awhile when I first set it up and this caused some powder throwing problems.

Dillion is refunding your money. More evidence of their no BS warrenty.

[ 04-09-2003, 19:53: Message edited by: Alex V. ]

Posts: 10 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are only a couple reasons that the charge bare is not fully opened; you don't have the powder die set down low enough or you don't have the correct powder funnel inside of it. On older model powder dispensors the big white plasic bushing that sets between the powder die and the dispensor can fall out and get lost when switching it to another die if you aren't carefull, this will mess things up if it isn't in there. The new dispensors have it locked in there with a set screw so it don't come out. Does yours even have one in there?

With a case in the press, and the handle at full stroke the powder die should be lowered until the charge bar comes back "almost" to the stop on the side of dispensor, but not put it in a bind by lowering it too far. The return linkage, springs etc have nothing to do with this setup, it's all determined by how high or low you set the powder die...

If it isn't set to move the charge bar ALL THE WAY, it won't FILL the charge bar with powder all the way, or at all depending on how far you have it opening. This is pretty simple I must say. Did you get the vidio? I had been using my dads for a long time before I got mine, and still got the vidio so I didn't have to ask him questions all the time. I watched it once, and used mine alot more once I had it than I did his, I've never needed to watch it since. Before, I was always asking him about something because I used his so infrequently I forgot certain things between sessions.

I don't know how much you've actually used it in the four months you've had it, but it seems to me someone could have helped you out fairly easily and you would have liked it alot when you finally got to use it. Good luck either way, but what I'd suggest, you've already given up on... it seems.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alex,

Your brother doesn't need to bell the case mouth on a 308, he needs to back the powder die off so it isn't hitting it's stop and then continuing up to bell the case mouth. Comming to full stroke and makin sure the stop isn't reached them exceeded will work perfect, as in most rifle cases. Pistols are set up just a little lower a bit at a time to acheive the amount of bell desired, the case will continue up after the measurer hits full stop in this case only.

posted Hide Post
Brent,

It only took him about 2 pieces of brass to figure out what he was doing wrong and from what I have heard, he has had no problems since then.

Being as how I am addicted to reloading I tend to just walk into the reloading room and do up a few rounds on my Dillon each day. If I need a better fix then I will do a bunch and maybe load up some magnum handgun rounds on my turret and maybe size and lube some cast bullets.

But, the Dillon has been the least troublesome of all the presses I have used, including my Lyman T-Mag turret which had dies that would go out of adjustment on a regular basis.

Posts: 10 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 09 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love my Dillon and have for years, some of the best customer service I've experienced, as well. Sorry you couldn't figure it out , I have no idea how to figure how much time I've saved on mine, I'd be lost without it. Oh well, thats why there's more than one brand.---Shoot Safe---montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
As far as Progressives go, I sold my Dillon 550 and upgraded to the RCBS Pro 2000. New technology here, and it is better than the older tech! VERY heavy duty, and doesn't skip a beat w/ my .376 or 7mm Rem Mag. The metering is sweet with the Uniflow setup...it's like a long drop tube, and can really settle the powder in nicely. The extra space for a die (5) comes in handy, as I use the RCBS Lube die, and a Lee factory crimp die as well. No lookin back for me guy's.
RC

Posts: 15 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 02 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Well, if you dont like the Dillon STAY AWAY from the Hornady Projector. Unless they have made major changes to the priming system, it is a PITA. Hope the RCBS works out for you....

EDIT: I have had to call Dillon a few times needing parts (bought mine used and didnt get everything) and they were all set to me at no charge! Cant say that about the experience i had with the Hornady.

[ 04-13-2003, 06:10: Message edited by: MSSmagnum ]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote