New
Find
Notify
Tools

J 36 bullets. Lost river ballistics
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is anyone using these in hunting situations? I have looked at their site and read the past info on here. But I am still wondering about them for Big game use. I am thinking of loading them in my .340 weatherby. 225 grain. This is my elk gun. Anybody have any info on them as a pure hunting bullet? Thanks

Posts: 156 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
<FarRight>
posted
Nope sorry.

At that price they never really rose my curiosity. I'll say that for that much dough they better be damn near pefect.

I never really saw a ballistic advantage at ranges I hunt in and if I am going to spend money on premium bullets, I am going with the tried and true. That's why I chose the Nosler Partition. Even those get a little spendy for me but the more I look for a substitute, the more I appreciate them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Anyone else? Thanks

one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
They are very popular among the extreme range folks both in and out of uniform but as has been mentioned, they don't fit my parameters or budget.

Ross Seyfried used them in a .22-284 at moon-shot velocities in an article recently only because most other conventional bullets couldn't withstand the 4000 fps in a 1-7" barrel. Dunno if he ever pointed them at fur.

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<grkldoc>
posted
I've tried these in my 6.5 STW. Was able to get 3550-3600fps out of a 28" barrel with the 120gr. LRB J36 (BC=.678 or so). They shot pretty well. They don't shoot in the one with the 32" barrel though it would be capable of 3750-3800fps.

To date I've found nothing flatter shooting at reasonable ranges. Using my quicktarget program, I compared these values to those of the .408 cheyenne tactical recently published in Precision Shooting. The cheyenne tactical did not become "flatter" until 2000-2500yds!! (if you don't believe me try it yourself) They were using the .408 LRB J40. So we're comparing apples to apples. On paper these bullets looks great, but, I have not seen them perform on game yet. Also, do you really need something this flat? Probably not for 99.9 % of hunters. These will probably will remain popular only for long range enthusiasts who like to experiment and have some disposable income.

One should also be aware that since these are solid bullets the start pressure is much higher. To simply substitute these for the same weight conventional bullet will give excessive pressure. Therefore, you have to work up loads and this can be costly. The work up is facilitated by pressure monitoring equipment,for example, a peak strain meter. Typically, I had to reduce loads by 4-5grains of powder to arrive at the same pressures as conventional bullets.

<KBGuns>
posted
http://www.snipercountry.com/sniper.htm

Check out the "Duty Roster" over at snipercountry. They had a long thing about LRBT bullets awhile back. But dont ask about it, just look it up in the archives, they seem to have a collective agreement to not talking about it any more, not unlike SMKs here at AR.

Kristofer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok now were getting somewher guys. Thank you all for the information. This is what I needed. i will check out that link too. I am wondering if they would be practical from ranges out of a .340 weatherby from 0-600yds. I would use the load for Elk mostly. I guess I was just thinking that I want the best accuracy possible along with good expansion and killing power. I am most intersted to know how the perform on game...I do not want them act like a ballistic tip on game. I prefer the Barnes X and Failsafe bullets but sometimes the accuracy with those lacks.. Thanks everyone. Please keep the information coming.