New
Find
Notify
Tools

6,5X54 MS SAFETY RELOAD
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently acquired a 1903 Manlicher Shoennauer nearly mint condition carbine in 6,5x54 ms.
Having read something about to strong loads in 160 grs bullets that some have done with problems due to the resistance of this old rifle I would aprecciate if someone have some experience with the caliber and its reloading.
I put down a wild hog of 21 cm of tooth with a heart shot at 85 mtrs with a Hornady 140 grs at 2450 fps/sec.and am thinking that is a very good killer and without recoil
Thanks to all
Guillermo

Posts: 102 | Location: Catrilo La Pampa-Argentina | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those were nice old guns, and I really like the rotary magazine. Congratulations on your find! A friend of mine has one of the old Greek military rifles and he uses the 160 grain Norma ammunition. The long, heavy bullet (160 grain) is what made its reputation as a good killer.

Lyman lists data for this round:
140 grain Remington SPCL: IMR 4064 32.0-37.0 grains vel:2421 fps
160 grain Hornady RN: IMR 4895 30.0-34.0 grains
vel:2207 fps
Norma cases, R-P 9 1/2 primer Lyman also recommends that the headspace be checked.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Dear Guillermo,

I'm not sure I exactly understand your concern about 6.5x54 M-S and 160gr loads. As long as the bullet is of the correct diameter, there should be no problem using 160gr bullets. I've used Hornady, Norma, and Sierra 160gr bullets with success in both an M1903 carbine and rifle (using IMR4350). As you've noted, though, 'modern' 140gr bullets often give satisfactory performance with less recoil and a flatter trajectory.

Hope this helps!

Chris

Posts: 116 | Location: Washougal, WA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Please treat your rifle nicely and do not push the limit on pressure. The old Mannlicher-Sch�nauer was not a modern high pressure rifle nor were any of its cartridges. It is safe within its design parameters, assuming that it is in otherwise good condition. They were well made, but lacked some of the more modern features of the Mauser system, particularly the '98. The Mauser '88 had many MS features on it.

Please slug your bore. A thousandths of an inch one way or the other really does not raise pressures to any degree, just know what you are dealing with. Europeans have traditionally used slightly different measurements for 6.5mm rifle barrels than we do.

I think, if memory serves, that the original bullet was a 160 grain (or thereabouts) round nose. Most of the European 6.5s started out that way. That means that there will be a safe, if modest, 160 gr. load available. But why? Your stated load works well, so keep it. Its a matter of practicality.

Posts: 305 | Location: Indian Territory | Registered: 21 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your rewards, of course I kmow and apreciate what I have in my hands ,you know I was searching for one of this litle rifles for a couple of years.
My preocupation was that I read in a forum of Manlicher about a guy who blow out a carbine like this with a 160 gr Hawk bullet and the loads that figure in the Lyman manual.
That`s why I`m looking for personal developed information.
I bought 400 160 grainers Hornady bullets and will be doing some trials in the next weekend.
I have some personal information with Hornady 140 grs, so if any want it I post it.
Sincerely
Guillermo

Posts: 102 | Location: Catrilo La Pampa-Argentina | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

Please slug your bore. A thousandths of an inch one way or the other really does not raise pressures to any degree, just know what you are dealing with. Europeans have traditionally used slightly different measurements for 6.5mm rifle barrels than we do.

Quite true! And while our 6.5's have been stabndardized on .264" diameter bullets, I believe the 6.5X54 MS had a groove diameter of .268". However, if they did, it is possible that the bullets were a little smaller. Early European smokless powder rifles were often loaded with bullets that were undersize compared to the groove diameter. For example, the Gewehr M1888 adopted as the German service rifle had a .322" groove diameter (average!!), but the 8x57J round was loaded with bullets that miked .318".