THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Looking for 6.5 mm Rem Mag ammo and/or brass-HELP!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for 6.5 mm Rem Mag ammo and/or brass-HELP!
 Login/Join

posted
Need some 6.5mm Rem Mag ammo and/or brass. Just bought one of the new Remington 673 Guide Rifles in this caliber yesterday at a gun show. HOWEVER, Remington in its lack of wisdom and common sense apparently hasn't got the newly reintroduced ammo or brass for this ctg out to the distributors or retailers yet, even though Remington is showing on their website as available.

Anyone know where I can find any, or have some new or once-fired brass or ammo? The only ammo I can find on the internet is custom loaded and expensive. Graf and Sons had some but they're showing it out of stock on their website.
EVERYONE KNOWS YOU CAN'T HAVE A NEW RIFLE AND NOT HAVE AMMO TO SHOOT IN IT. IT'S UNNATURAL!
TIA
TAP

Posts: 8 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats the Remington WAy!They quit making 416 Rem mag brass also for a long time.I am afraid that they will quit making 357 max brass no one else can make it!You could go through the big pain of necking down 350 rem mag brass .I think it would have to be a two step process.I think Graf and son will get some sooner than anyone else.I have seen alot of that ammo lately at gun shows.Its about $30 a box.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
That is current production for Remington. Get your dealer to order it.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two boxes on ebay of all places for $25.If you do a search on yahoo.com for 6.5 rem mag brass a bunch comes up.Another place was libertyshootingsupplies.com it was $12.50 per 20.I will ask at gunshow but its next weekend I know someone who did have lots of that brass.

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of South40
posted Hide Post

Posts: 442 | Location: Way out west | Registered: 28 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who replied. It was very helpful. I'm ordering some brass today from the Ammo Depot. I've got a set of dies coming from Midway this week. Maybe I'll be able to pull the trigger this weekend!
TAP

Posts: 8 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 09 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago I had a 6.5 Remington. I simply ran new (shortened) brass from any typical short magnum round through a 6.5 FL die (I used .264 Winchester, but 7mm RM will work as well) for one-pass reforming, then final trimming. I did use NEW, not fired cases, which are generally more ductile and may not require annealing. I didn't even have any real 6.5 RM dies -- I just used an extra set of .264 Winchester dies which I cut to the right length with a hacksaw. The ammunition worked perfectly.

Depending on the dimensions of your chamber, you might possibly need to thin the necks of brass made this way, but Remington is famous for chamber dimensions on the "generous" -- some would say "sloppy" -- side (especially when the barrel is chambered with a new, unworn reamer as in the first run of new rifles), so you probably won't even need to neck-ream (I didn't).

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote