New
Find
Notify
Tools

.270 Varmint load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a good varmint load for my .270. I have used sierra 135 grain game king without getting good accuracy.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the Hornady 110 v-max in my 270wsm and they are very accurate.They should shoot as accurate in the reg 270 also.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep I'd say that is accurate, unless of course that is a 1 shot group......grins

I've also used H380 and the Sierra 90 with good results since the early 80's.

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
The Sierra 90 grain HPs are quite accurate in my dad's .270 WSM. Give them try in your regular .270, they might be just what you're looking for.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
twilli,

Welcome to the forum. In general short hollow point bullets shoot quite well like the suggested 90 gr. If it's just that one 135 gr bullet that does not shoot well we all find stuff like that. In any case Sierra does not make a 135 gr Gameking. Perhaps you mean the Matchking?

I am using the 110 VMax in the 270 for it's excellent ballistic coefficient. However if your rifle has accuracy issues the less complicated bullets have a better chance.

The 110 gr can be given 3350 fps. That's quite a powerful varmint rifle.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote