New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update on 175gr. SBT in my 7mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I posted couple months ago on how the 175gr SBT would work in the 7mag on whitetail deer. Well, on Monday i had a chance to see on a 140lb 7pt. at 150yds. slightly quartering away, it entered about 7in. behind the shoulder with a Nickol sized whole, and exited right behind the opposit shoulder with whole a lil bigger half doller. The shot was a little bit high. The Heart was not touched, but the lungs were completly destroyed. The deer went down on his hind legs, reared around and went down. I was very impressed on the performance of this bullet. Yesterday, my uncle used it to shoot a 120lb Doe (his 760 wasnt working right, what else is new) the doe was at about 100yds broadside. Bullet entered behind the shoulder about 3inches with a nickol sized whole, and excited with aabout a 1.5in. whole. Deer droped instantly.

Needless to say, I am hooked on these bullets. I have thought about going with the Nosler BT for the nockdown power, but i have seen my self that they are not needed. Right now, only one thing i still have to see for the perfect bullet. I am gunna try to get a doe this sat. at close range 25-50yds. I want to see how the bullet will preform on short distances.

Anybody else have similar experiences? If ya do please share. Also looking for good accuracyw ith them. Right now im using H4831 61gr. getting about an inch at 100yds. What powders do use guys like in ur 7mm's? Thanx for ur time.
Ryan

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 7 mag has always liked to be loaded with a 162 gr Hornady BTSP AND 59.8 GR of IMR 4831 powder. Not the hottest load, but very accurate in my rifle.

Mac

Posts: 1638 | Location: Colorado by birth, Navy by choice | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redneck,

I like H1000 in my 7mmRM

I have had similar results as you have on 300-400lb. game with the 160gr. SBT.

I started using 150 gr. SBT but had a bullet come apart on the way to the paper target. Don't know what happened with that. ( which reminds me I forgot to post)

Daryl

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Igor>
posted
What brand is the SBT bullet you are talking about?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The SBT I'm assuming you are speaking of the Sierra Boat Tail's? I've had similar performance on large Mule deer and Elk. It sure seems to anchor them to the spot. [Big Grin]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote