New
Find
Notify
Tools

reduced recoil 30-06 loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone have a recipe for a 110gr reduced recoil load?

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check IMR data using SR4759.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perry--Years ago I shot some 110 grains and the thing that surprized me was they shot about where 150 grains were printing and recoil was close to the 150's. Shoot some cast bullets in a 30-06 if you want mild.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is not for me, it is for a 9 year old boy. It needs to be pretty mild. His father does not have another rifle, can't afford one now, so I am trying to help him get his kid into shooting. I have some 110 gr bullets so it would be easy if there is a recipe. I'll ck IMR's site. Thanks

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded some years ago I think I use 4198 the kids I loaded them for had no trouble killing deer with them at about 2200fps.

Posts: 19569 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use Trailboss, go to Hodgdon's web-site for more info.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
30-06 Reduced load- Alliant's 2400-24.0gr.-110gr jacketed bullet. Or Google "Hodgdon Youth Loads"

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do I need to worry about case capacity being low/too low?

Perry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the Hodgons website, they recommend H4895 for reduced recoil loads, not sure the bullet.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
An extremely light recoiling load is any 150 gr. jacketed or lead bullet and 17 grains of SR 4759. Depending on the gun, from 1,600 to 1,725 f.p.s. muzzle velocity, but an effective deer killer within 150 yards anyway.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by perry:

Perry

If you use too little of too slow of a powder then there is a possibility of detonation. It isnt real common but has been known to occur. The other fear is that it is made so weak that the bullet doesnt make it out the bbl, but that would have to be incredibly anemic. Stick with published loads and you should be fine. If it were me I would prolly just go with the lowest published charge of something like 4895. Behind a 110 grainer that should be real light. Speer shows that @ about 49-50 grs. Or if you want to go lighter try 17-21 grs of sr4759. That is prolly the best powder for what your trying to do.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot quite a lot of 125 grain SP with 33 grain Vihta N110 at the running boar. Very low recoil, 804 m/s calculated velocity. This would probably be still a good deer killer.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Cast bullet loads use small amounts of powder with no problems. A jacketed bullet will produce more pressure then lead. Best to use the Hodgdon Youth Loads with H4895.
quote:

Perry

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:

Perry

If you mean do you have to worry about not filling enough of the case capacity, that depends entirely on the characteristics of the powder you choose to use. If it is a very slow igniting or very slow burning powder, such as 4831, 7828, 3100, etc., yes you do need to watch it.

With the quick burning powders, no, it won't be a problem.

The best rule is to still use a loading manual recommended wight of powder charge. That is one of the reasons I recommended the 17 grains of SR 4759 load to you in my post above. It is a very light load, but it is a loading manual recommended charge, and has also been recommended by the NRA technical service in years past.

To provide better confidence, I suggest you look in a manual which has SR4759 loads for the .30-06 and pick the lightest load you see listed therein for the bullet of your choice.

That powder IS a rifle powder, will bulk up well, yet give low velcities and very, very little recoil when using the amounts (from minimum to maximum) recommended by the makers.

P.S.: From a rifle length barrel, that 17 grains of powder is also rather quiet when fired. Lack of noise also seems to instill confidence in young shooters, who reflexively associate noise with recoil.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornAbout 34 or 35 grains of one of the 4198s will work.The bulkyness of 4759 and trail boss ,however, may have some positioning advantage: Maybe. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hodgdon "youth loads" with H 4895 suck...

their accuracy is highly inconsistent...

the only reason Hodgdon recommends them, when they offer so many other powders better suited for that sort of job, is because the load data for that powder was GIVEN to them by ADI, who makes the powder for them...

Myself, 4198 or SR 4759 for starters...plenty of good info in cast bullet manuals, since so many people would rather see a load in a manual than develop their own...

Trail Boss is idiot proof... only detail given is to not compress it...other than that, you can't generate enough pressure to worry about anything...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
+1 for TrailBoss Cool

Posts: 14 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 20 May 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Perry,

We load a lot of reduced loads in all calibers, using powders like UNIQUE, GREEN DOT etc.

Depending on how low you wish to go, I suggest you start with something like 20 grains of UNIQUE and work up from there.

UNIQUE is my favorite for this as it is quite bulky.

I even use it for reduced loads in the 577 T.Rex.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68612 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
their accuracy is highly inconsistent...

Can't really say that was an issue with some .308 reduced loads I put together for the grandson, in fact they are probably the most accurate loads I have ever shot through that little rifle.

Mike / Tx