Find
Notify
Tools

Which 65-75grn .243 bullet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TReX300
posted
I'm just looking for some opinons on which bullet in the 65-75 grain range I should try in my .243. It's mainly a coyote gun. I've been shooting some Sierra 60grn Hp's for years now. they're on top of 42.3grns of RL 15 and run out at 3535 fps avg through my chronograph. they shoot well enough but I'm just about out of them and thought I'd try something different this year. I live in a fairly open area and shoots on Coyotes can easily be 400yrds+ (200-300yrd avg) and with being so open it can also be fairly windy at times. Thats the reason I thought I'd go up to something a little heavier. Any thoughts or opinions?

Thanks
Tim

Posts: 48 | Location: Essex, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 75gr Hornady V-Max. I don't know that it makes a better coyote load but it shoots well out of my rifle. I tried it as all I shoot with a 243 are varmits and predditor's, mostly preditors. The bullet shoots very well and I'm sighted in to shoot within it's max point blank range at a 5" target. That would restrict me a bit on range but gives me a flatter trajectory to that range and lessen's the possibility of over shooting at mid range. If I were really concerned about maximun range I would go to maybe a 105gr A-Max. I would lose some in velocity but gain in the bullet's ability to buck wind.

But it does not take a lot to kill a coyote and I'd say whatever shoots best with light bullets for more normal ranges, say 200 to 250yds and heavy bullets beyond that. I know of no 24 cal bullet that would be what I would call "pelt friendly" at much of any range if your looking for that.

I tried the 55gr bullets and found I couldn't seat them out where I wanted to and they were not near as accurate as the 75 gr V-Max in my rifle.

Posts: 526 | Location: Antelope, Oregon | Registered: 06 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello trex300. I like the Combined Tech 55gr for yotes....very little fur damage and at 3700'/sec, can really reach. You are kind of in-between a deer bullet and a varmit bullet with your question. As Don mentioned, the 55's will jump a bit into the lands....some rifles like it and others don't. I load this in a Rem ADL, Sako 579 and a Ruger.....none of them complain. Good luck and regards, Rick.

John Deer tractors and Sako rifles....just doesn't get much better.

Posts: 51 | Location: NC Missouri | Registered: 31 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try 70gr Sierra BlitzKings with 40 to 41 grains of Varget.

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote