Find
Notify
Tools

LEE Factory Crimp Die
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted
I'm looking for the LEE FC die in .416 Rigby and can't find one. Is that because they don't make one or is it a special order?

What's the concensus on the LEE Factory Crimp die, is it good/bad or just not necessary?

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't know if the make it in 416 Rigby or not--I'd check Lee's website.

Numerous studies show rounds crimped like that are more accurate than non-crimped, SAEEDS test here was more than enough for me.

Having said that, I have used it and not in same rifles, and although one make take a tweak or two to shoot equally, I've found good accuracy without crimping always.

In a big boomer like a 416, you might want a crimp to keep bullets from shifting in the case, but I don't know if that really matters in your application--e.g. shooting a double rifle, or a mag fed bolt gun??

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm looking for the LEE FC die in .416 Rigby and can't find one. Is that because they don't make one or is it a special order?

What's the concensus on the LEE Factory Crimp die, is it good/bad or just not necessary?

If you want a FCD, you will need to send a dummy round(no powder or primer) properly trimmed to length, to Lee with a cover letter. They will then make a custom die for you. Mind you, for the .416 Rigby this will be a large body die. So it will require a press which has a removeable sleeve, like the Rockchucker Supreme, in order to accomodate the 1 1/4" body die.
It has been several years since I ordered mine, but I had three large body dies made, .416 Rigby, .500 NE, and .470 NE. IIRC I paid $35.00 for each. I also had one made in .458 Lott which was $25.00. I am pretty sure prices have gone up since then.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

i sure like mine - beer

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably not necessary in most calibers, but for the big kickers I prefer them. I know of at least two instances, both in bolt rifles, where a jam occurred due to a bullet migrating out while in the magazine. I one of those instances we had a wounded buffalo headed our way. Fortunately I was carrying a double that day thumb

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have Lee FCD's for every CF rifle cartridge that I load in a rifle with a tubular magazine.

30-30, 35Rem, 444Marlin, 45-70

I use other crimp methods on 357Mag and 44Mag
because I typically run them off of my Dillon rather
than a single stage press. and for this I use a Redding profile crimper.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A properly constructed dummy round and 35 bucks, and you will have your Lee Factory crimp die. I like mine, but I do replace the Lee lock ring with Hornady's or Bonanza's. They work well, and in my estimation, abet feeding as well.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I also have a 416 Rigby. I called Lee to ask about a crimp die and was told it would have to be a special order item and cost around $90.00. I thought that price was very high. Since I don't load that many rounds for this caliber I just use my Lyman dies to crimp, but do it in a separate operation.

First set you die for seating without crimping then after you have seated all the bullets, back of the seating stem and adjust you die to crimp. Of course if you're loading any amount of rounds, a separate crimp die may be advisable. You could save some bucks by just buying a Lyman seating die body directly from Lyman and using that as a dedicated crimp die.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your replys and advice. I just got off the phone with LEE and they said it was a large diameter die, despite the fact that their website says not greater than .480" and that's what all my .416 Rigby cases mike, even after they're fired. The reloading manuals state .590". They said that it would be $79 shipped and a 6 month wait. I think I'll pass.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote