Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9mm P-38, Beretta 92f loads
 Login/Join

posted
I would like to load some 9mm for a P-38 and Beretta 92F. Some of the most accurate loads in Pet Loads appear to be quite hot, Are there any restrictions as to loading for the P-38 as opposed to the Beretta? Can the P-38 safely handle 9mm ammo loaded to published data? Thanks! Joe S

Posts: 22 | Location: Badger State | Registered: 25 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Can't speak for the P-38, but I can offer you a couple of loads that work really well in my 92FS.

Target: 122gr. cast lead, 4.1gr. 231
Plinking, Practice: 115 gr. Rainier JHP, 8.5gr. AA#7
Self Defense: 115 gr. JHP, 9gr. AA#7

Good Luck.

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

The 9mm has enough safety margin that the big corperations with fear of litigation are selling +P+ 9mm ammo.

I have overloaded thirty some calibers to see what happens.
I have not tested a P38 or 92F [yet], but I would assume from the other 9mms I have tested; Tokarev, Star Super B, Star M43, CZ52[not a strong gun. The load books are wrong.], Glock 19, and Kel-Tec P11, that there is lots of safety margin.

The things you can do to figure it out:
1) Put an emty case in the chamber of the barrel and scribe the outline of the feed ramp on case with a needle. Measure the feed ramp intrusion line. It should be .190" or less. The web of the 9mm case is .160" thick and the difference is the length of thin unsupported case wall.
2) Measure the chamber wall thickness. .060" may be adaqute for 9mm, but .100" is allot better.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote