New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two guns in one for africa
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I dont garauntee exact results in your gun,but in my ruger 458 lott,I rolled up some loads using speers 350 FN.(as your aware the FN aint much of a FN) 81 grains H4198,and a cci mag primer rolls along just shy of 2800fps pretty flat out to 250,zeroed at 175..Without any adjustment I loaded up some 458 win mags with 56.5 grains H4198,cci mag primed,and a 350 horn FN ,which is quite flat.They popped out at 2160fps .Hit the bull dead on at 50. .7 low at 100. So I got my 250-300 yd eland etc gun,and my brush blastin warthog gun,all in one.Load # 2 is vertually recoilless in the big gun.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will have the trifecta if y9ou can now get a woodleigh 500 gr soft to go dead on at 100 yards as well !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I pop the scope off the first iron flip up is about an inch or two low at 100 with 500 grainers.I didnt mention it cause I wont be doin it this time,but its already there

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats great, you can pretty well have three different types of ammo and have them all shoot using one method or another !!

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Glad to see your Lott shooting so well, but you may want to test those 350gr Speer's out on something first. At that speed (they are designed for .45-70/1500-1600fps) they are likely to epand too rapidly or even come apart. Now substitute a Barnes 'X' & you've probably got something there. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont know ,they go clean through an 18" hard aspen

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Posted 14 June 2005 04:27
Thats great, you can pretty well have three different types of ammo and have them all shoot using one method or another !!

Although I dont plan on buff,you never know what can happen in the sperm of the moment. So I figur my 3 lott loads,and a bird gun and by God somethins gotta die

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Try them in something soft. Wood is a terrible measuring stick (no pun intended). It doesn't allow the bullet to expand properly so it doesn't surpise me you put one thru a tree. Shoot them into water or wetpack & see what you get. If they hold up, great. I would still look to the Barnes or Swift for a light wt. .458lott.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote