Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer Grand Slam bullets
 Login/Join

posted
What is your experience with Grand Slams on game? Particularly 338, 35 and 375 cal. I find
them very accurate but have heard conflicting reports on game. The main complaint I have read is the bullet is too tough. Any info
would be appreciated.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the larger calibers, but in my -06 165s blew right through a big mulie buck with a 30 cal exit hole and about a 50 cal exit hole in an elk. I kept shooting until they went down. The elk took three shots and the buck took five. All through the ribs - no heavy bone. The first shot was lethal in both cases. I'm pretty confident they would exit on a lengthwise shot.

My dad told me once that if you're gonna kill a rattler with a chainsaw, use the top of the bar.

Posts: 165 | Location: Seymour, Mo | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I adore the 225 gr Gr Slam in the 338 Win Mag.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
On my first safari I loaded AGS for my 375 and after reading Kevin Robertson, loaded them to 2400fps MV. When shooting buffalo (and I had to shoot him A LOT), the bullets upset fairly quickly and at the reduced MV, did not penetrate adequately. My PH said they would make good lion bullets because they expanded so much so fast. If they were loaded to max velocity they may have penetrated better. BTW this load was also minimal for eland although for nyala, zebra and kudu it was fine.
This was in 2003 so they may have modified the design since then. In the meantime I have switched to TSX and Woodleigh.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I loaded some 165gr that I bought in the early 80s but didnt shot them loaded them up a couple years ago for elk. And they were great penatrators shot a rag horn looking at me in the dark timber at close to hundred yards. Found the bullet in the skin by the left ham.Son shot a bigger 5x5 at 275 yds a cross a small canyon tight behind the shoulder.was down with in 20 yards with a golf ball size exit.I think they are decent bullets.

Posts: 41 | Location: oregon | Registered: 11 September 2009Reply With Quote