New
Find
Notify
Tools

hornady bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am new to the forum, please forgive me if I am covering old ground. I would like feedback on Hornady bullets. I like them a lot, and am most impressed with the price. They are consisently at least 50% of the cost of all the premium bullets on the market. Are there any Hornady fans out there?

I am reminded of a qoute, (don't know the author) when reading about all of the recovered "failed" bullets: "At what point in the animal's death did the bullet fail?"

Posts: 29 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 03 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Hornady, but like I've stated before, this is a hobby for me and really don't give sh_t by and large what bullets cost. I just love bullets that shoot well.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like Hornady, but like I've stated before, this is a hobby for me and really don't give sh_t by and large what bullets cost. I just love bullets that make me look like a better shot.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm a big fan of their bullets. They work great on deer sized game, usually anchoring the critters right in their tracks. I'll be trying their 7mm 175 grainers in my Rem. Mag on hogs this weekend. I have no doubts about how they will perform.

Gib

Posts: 130 | Location: Fresno, CA - again | Registered: 13 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For high volume shooting with 22 centerfires, I use a lot of the Remington flat base hollow points. With the right load, they are very accurate and deadly. Don't get me wrong, Hornaday makes great bullets and I do use them from time to time, but the ground squirrels never know the difference. [Wink]

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady's have never been as accurate in most of my guns as some other makes, but that is not true of every gun. Their performance on game is probably among the best of any of the "non-premium" bullets. The 55 and 60 grain .22 spire points have a reputation as a reliable deer bullet among those who use .22 centerfires for deer. I have killed one rather large hog with a 55 grainer out of a .223.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady has always given great accuracy and great terminal performance on deer sized game for me.

Posts: 64 | Location: Bham, Al | Registered: 28 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excluding the Nosler Partition, Hornady Interlocks are one of my favorites. In short, they work.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
<sendero338>
posted
For the price you cannot go wrong. For the performance, last season is the first time I used them on deer. No problem's, the last few year's I used them out west on elk... no problem's.

You will not be disapionted with them, good luck and good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I broke into reloading on Hornady bullets, back in 1974 and still use them today!
I have shot one-holer 3-shot groups with my 7mm Rem Mag using 154gr Hornady Spire Points.
They're a great bullet, and they have my vote as being my most popular.

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hornady bullets have always worked well for me. So have Corelokts. For game up to elk, with an appropriate caliber and bulet weight, they work fine. Don't use a 130 gr .308 Hornady in a .300 Weatherby on elk at 20 yards... but a 180 at 100 yards works just fine.

posted Hide Post
Hello Gunther,

Cant go wrong with Hornady's, price is right thier weights are consistent, and thier perfomance is spot on.

All The Best
Steel [Cool]

Posts: 19 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 27 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Hornady projectiles in a few calibres, but personally I feel it is their 0.224" calibre bullets that really stand out.
I am a fan of heavier bullets because of their longer down-range potential. The 60 grain V-MAX can be driven at very respectable velocities by the 22-250 or 220 Swift, and is not too shabby in a 223, but it needs a barrel twist of at least 1 in 12. Many people are fans of the 75 grain A-MAX. It's a great target bullet, and in the aforementioned cartridges can be surprisingly competitive at longer ranges. It also has a reputation as a good hunting bullet. Read about the Texas Trophy Hunters: 6mm Remington necked down to .224 and 'Ackleyed' driving the A-MAX at spectacular velocities. This needs a barrel twist of at least 1 in 9.
There are a lot of posts about the 75 grain A-MAX. The speed with which the bullet is spinning is more important than the barrel twist, although the two are related by velocity. Basically, a 223 will need about a 1 in 8 twist, a 22-250 a 1 in 9 twist, and the 224 TTH might get away with a 1 in 10 twist.

Posts: 96 | Location: South Australia | Registered: 20 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 50SX 224's for years, they are very, very accurate. A very underrated bullet. I like the 150's, 165 in 30 cal. and the 139,154 175's in 7mm. These are the ones I've used and had great luck with them. If I were to go buy bullets tomorrwo I'd look first at Hornadys.
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
When a guy correctly applies the "right tool for the job" maxim, Hornady bullets are quite suitable for ANY game in North America. My experience has been that dollar for dollar they are a superb hunting bullet, between the interlock ring and the spire point they have a nice flexibility about them reguarding distances and velocities.

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Great working man's bullet!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 154 and 175 Interlocks are two of my favorites
in 7mm rem mag for consistent accuracy in my guns.
Another favorite is the 140gr interlock in .270 it
is half the price and twice as accurate as some of
the so-called premiums I have tested. I guess my
guns just like the cheap stuff but i think Hornady
is just under-rated. They make excellent hunting bullets at a price I can live with. I can't say
the same for certain Speer, Sierra and Noslers I've tried.
You won't be disappointed with Hornady! BLR7 [Smile]

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure one can generalise meaningfully about bullets. There are so many variables even within a manafacturers range.

As an example I have used the Hornady 7mm 154gr RN and the 139gr BTSP in my 7x57. The 154gr I have nothing but praise for, the 139gr I find rather fragile and lacking penetration.

Even the same bullet may vary between lots. For the first time since starting to use it 5 years ago, the 100gr ballistic tip I swear by in my 6.5x55 has experienced a couple of seperations (multiple exit wounds on roe deer)since starting a new lot.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use them in my .375 H7H cz. I use the 300 gr RN's and I like the way they perform and shoot.

I am also interested in there 160 gr RN 6.5 bullet for my old swede [Cool]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Elkslayer
posted Hide Post
I've used their 154gr 7mm bullets in my 7mag to drop a number of elk and one big horn sheep. I never had any problems with them.

Oh, one big cow elk up in the Gallatin canyon in a January hunt I had to shoot twice because it was about 50 yards away and the first bullet slipped through the ribs on both sides without hitting bone, went thru the lungs but was in and out without doing much damage. Second shot broke the onside shoulder and scrambled stuff in the inside.

Posts: 452 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 15 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894:

As an example I have used the Hornady 7mm 154gr RN and the 139gr BTSP in my 7x57. The 154gr I have nothing but praise for, the 139gr I find rather fragile and lacking penetration.

Boat tails, (except the solid base type like the Nosler) seem to have less structural integrity than a similar flat base bullets. This seems to be because the inside taper of the jacket tends to turn loose of the lead core more readily in a boattail. I try to avoid conventional boattails for game shooting, but like them very much for varmints.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Hornady's in a 2 7mag, 300 sav, 338 win mag, and 7mm-08 and have not had to take more than one shot on any deer. All deer have dropped in there tracks.Accuracy has taken some experimenting in 2 guns, but all will shoot under 1.25" @100 yds.

Posts: 150 | Location: upper michigan | Registered: 27 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
The 150 Hornady SP is my favorite bullet for .308win, I have shot more of these in this cartridge than anything except 147FMJ's

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Alaska Bush Man
posted Hide Post
Hey I with you man!

I use Sierra 250 BT for about all my hunting in Alaska, and alot with 06' and 308 with Nosler BT and Sierra GK over the years. The Prem. Bullets like the Nosler Part....and it's counterparts are not needed for most game. The only exceptions are when using the small bores for big game hunting, I would beleve.

It is mainly the buyer, that drives the market. As long as their is a demand for prem bullets they will make them, regardless if the game we hunt deserves them.

Posts: 523 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 26 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
You can`t beat Hornady bullets for the price.All my best Varmint and predator rounds have Hornady bullets in them.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have used Hornady bullets in my 7mag-139gr interlock for 33 yrs. 14 elk with that bullet alone. To many deer to count. Have got a 300 wby and use 165 gr interbond. Also still have the 7mag and a 7stw and shoot the 139gr interbond in them. I guess I should have mentioned have shot 4 more elk with the 150 Scirocco in my 7 stw and have sold all my scirocco bullets cause I got such a good deal on the interbonds. Just like buying 2 boxes of Hornady interbonds and getting change, $4.00 + and only having I box of sciroccos. The scirocco is a good bullet, and the Hornady interbond is as good or better in accuracy and will not blow to pieces, like the corelokts do and some of my interlocks have done when hitting heavy bones on a few of those elk.

[ 08-04-2003, 05:53: Message edited by: 4bambam ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
HORNADY HOLLOW BASE WADCUTTERS ARE SOME OF THE MOST ACCURATE SLUGS I'VE EVER SHOT OUT OF MY MOD 27 S&W.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot many deer with the Hornady 240xtp. They are very accurate (2.5" @ 100 yards)out of my redhawk. they penetrate well.
their .224 50grain sx worked very well in my .222
I also used the 225 grain in my .338 mag on a very large black bear. Also worked well.

Posts: 345 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 09 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn - Most consistent thread I've seen in a long time! I've used Hornady and most other brands over my 45 years of hunting/reloading and they are my hands down favorite.

You can pay more for your bullets, but I've got my doubts you'll get much more.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
[QUOTE]

Boat tails, (except the solid base type like the Nosler) seem to have less structural integrity than a similar flat base bullets. This seems to be because the inside taper of the jacket tends to turn loose of the lead core more readily in a boattail. I try to avoid conventional boattails for game shooting, but like them very much for varmints.

Steve,

I have heard of this phenomenen but it doesn't appear to apply to the 139gr BTSP from Hornady. The recovered bullets has all lost about 75% of weight and expanded right down to the interlock but no loss of core. I checked with Hornady whether a move to the 139gr SP would make any difference and the answer was allmost certainly not as the jacket thickness and shape are the same. They reccomended 154gr. I'll try the 145gr speer hot cores or the 140gr partition first.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Last season, i took a bighorn ram, cow elk, doe antelope, and a very long range coyote with a 15" XP-100 in 6.5-284 Win.-- all with the 129 gr. Hornady SST. all shots were at or farther than 300 yds.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only Hornady bullet I've had any trouble with is the 130 gr. SST in .270 Win. I have tried
IMR4831, RL-22 and recently H4350. Can't get any
better than 1.5" and that's at 100 yds. Shooting
with Win mod.70 with 1 in 10 twist and it shoots
140 Hornady btsp's into 1/2 - 5/8" groups with
58 gr. RL-22. Most of the time the 130 SST's are
up around 3090 fps. Maybe 130's just don't like
my rifle! 150 Nosler BT's group under 3/4" regularly. I'm open to suggestions if anyone has
a good recipe for the 130's. BLR7! [Cool]

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunther,
That quote by a Sierra balistician sucks and is void of fact and just plain riduclas...He said it to justify bullet failure...and the answer to his question is it died when the second bullet hit it an hour later.....

That said, I like Hornady bullets just fine and they are the best of conventional big game bullets with the interlock configuration, and compare favoribly or even perhaps better than the great Remington Corelokt..however they are not a premium bullet and do not compare to Nosler, Northforks, Woodleighs etc..cost of a bullet is the cheapest part of a hunt, and the best insurance you have against failure..

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It may be that your rifle just likes heavier bullets. But if you want to use 130's, before I gave up, I would try H4831 and IMR 4350...seemed to work for Jack O'Conner (and me). Regards, Jim

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I allways start my developement with Hornady unless I'm working a controlled expansion load. That may change now that the Interbond is out. I've so far only come accross one rifle that I couldnt get Hornady's to shoot but I only tried two types. I'm sure there's a Hornady that it likes. [Big Grin]

Those V-max shoot extreamly well in my 25/06, 139 FB in the 280, and 154 FB in one of the 7mags.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do most of my shooting, and all of the load development for a new rifle, with Hornady bullets. They are the best deal for the money. They are also, in my experience, the most consistently accurate brand out there. In my experience, if a Hornady bullet won't shoot, then I know the rilfe is going to have some finicky accuracy problems.

I love shooting the AMAX target bullets because they work and they're phenomenally accurate.

If I am working up a load for really big game, I'll generally start with a Hornady bullet and see how the rifle performs. Once I've got that worked out, I'll switch to the premium bullet, and then usually I only need to fire a few loads to settle on the one that works.

I can't wait to try the new Interbonds. I can see that bullet becoming my one-load choice in the .30-06.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote