Notify
Tools

Re: 7x57 brass question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted
Bob,

I have two #3's..one is my very first shellholder and is, umm, 27 years old. The other one I got about 6 years ago when I started using a separate priming tool. I'll have to give it a try---thanks!

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,

How old is your RCBS #3 shell holder? I have one from about 20 years ago that would not accept 9.3x62 brass (Graf's brass). Ken Waters mentioned the same thing in an article about the 9.3x62 a few years ago (1992 article?). Said he had to use a shell holder for the 6.5x55 Swedish as a "make do" solution. I purchased a new RCBS #3 as a test and the 9.3x62 brass fits in it just fine.

I'm not describing this well but, compared to my old #3, it seems that RCBS opened up the holder near the base of the cartridge on the newer #3s to accept the 9.3 case now. Might be the same problem with your S&B 7x57 brass and your #3 shell holder. Just thought I'd mention it. If you've got an old #3 then a new one might solve the problem. It wouldn't be an expensive purchase just to try it.

-Bob F.

Posts: 3485 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 22 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I throw all that SB garbage in the trash.
Just my honest opinion. Good brass is so
cheap that it is not worth fighting the
inconsistency of SB.
So There.
Lyle

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
S&B is excellent brass. It is well known that 7X57 brass
made in the US varies from European standard dimensions.
As a result you can get bent rims resizing many brands especially Norma brass using the recommended shellholders.
The 7.65 Mauser is also a little loose in US shell holders.
You might try shellholders intended for the .30/30.
Ed

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Yep, I use the holder for my 7.65 Argentine (Lee #3) and it works fine with the S&B. In Lee dies the correct shell holder for 7x57 is #2, it works or all my 7x57 and 8x57 except for the S&B.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I was going to reload some Sellier & Bellot brass after shooting it as factory ammo...it wouldn't fit into the RCBS#3 shellholder. I tried some Rem brass that fit just fine. I haven't measured but the part just above the rim is thicker than the Rem brass. Just wondering if anyone else has had trouble with this brass?

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote