New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tight fit of pilots in case trimmer.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a Layman universal case trimmer and I set it up for 7mm-08's the other day and the pilot seemed to fit tightly in the case mouth . The cases were once fired Rem. brass (factory ammo)and had been neck sized in Lee collet neck sizing die .I measured the pilot and it measured .280" .Do you guys think this is a problem . You could see where the pilot had run in the case .

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Put the pilot on a drill press or lath and polish it down some. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
most case trimmer pilots are designed to be used before resizing!!

Third eye blinds the other two!
A bullet smith.

Posts: 61 | Location: ga | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GREYGHOSTt:

I have no idea if this is really the intent of trimmer manufacturors or not. If it is, is it right? The expander ,after all is what controls the neck ID. Wink You are at the mercy of neck wall thickness and chamber neck OD on the fired cases. shockerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The expander ,after all is what controls the neck ID.

All the pilots I have, both ancient Bair and Forster are correct for resized cases. If you trim a case and then size it, it will change length...meaning it will get longer. The length of the case when the cartridge is loaded in to the chamber is what counts so they need to be measured and trimmed after sizing if required.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ireload2:
quote:
The expander ,after all is what controls the neck ID.

All the pilots I have, both ancient Bair and Forster are correct for resized cases. If you trim a case and then size it, it will change length...meaning it will get longer. The length of the case when the cartridge is loaded in to the chamber is what counts so they need to be measured and trimmed after sizing if required.

thumbroger thumb

one of us
posted Hide Post
I trim after I size. No problem

Never heard pilots are designed for use before sizeing. I think that is incorrect

or

I must have preped and loaded thosands of rounds wrong rotflmo

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That isn't correct. It's a waste of time to trim before resizing, as resizing will cause the case to lengthen.

I've run into this problem from time to time, and it's a simple matter to turn down the diameter of the pilot.
---------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Not so. From the Lyman instruction manual:

"Preparing the cases
Before trimming,cases must be full length or neck sized and deprimed. Pilots are designed to be used only with sized necks."

Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyway, if the proper pilot's fit is too tight, simply use a one size smaller pilot. The cases will still come out square.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Polish the pilot up as suggested. I've had an engineering shop turn me a 0.475" pilot for the Capstick (actual diameter I think is 0.467") to fit the Lyman trimmer and it also marks the inside of the case ... it needs a good polish up. For reference ... Hornady basic magnum brass is just under 2.85" before FL sizing ... just over after sizing. Always trim after sizing the cases.
Cheers...
Con
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's another method that gives extremely consistent results:
1 - Do the initial "gross" trim on the fired cases. Chamfer the neck if the mouth has thickened, usually from a case that was cut back a lot.
2 - Collet size the necks
3 - Very lightly give them another trim. You should trim almost nothingat this point.
4 - I may give another light chamfer if I am going to use flat based bullets
5 - Continue to collet size the case after each firing until you need to set the shoulder back. You should not need to trim before then.

Case length variance is always less than a thousandth.

I get 5-6 firings in 22-250 before needing to consider setting the shoulder back.

Posts: 41 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you putting a touch of oil on the pilot? As posted, maybe turn your pilot in a drill motor with a light rubbing of 0000 steel wool. You don't want to really reduce the size of the pilot, merely smooth it up a bit. Then touch your finger to your oil pad and rub it on the pilot.
I always rechamfer after I trim cases.
FYI, I've never had this corrupt the powder.