New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes banded solids in my CZ .404J ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently bought a nice CZ .404J, & it shoots Barnes X banded bullets & Swift A-Frame bullets (both my handloads) extremely well. However, when I tried to shoot the Barnes banded solids that were already loaded (88grs. of H4831sc & a 400gr. Barnes solid) & sent with the rifle, at 60 yards I could only get them to group about 12", yes, a one foot group at 60 yds. Has anyone else had any experience with these newer banded solids from Barnes ? Is it the load, or are these bullets not very accurate ? Any help would be appreciated because I have a good supply left of these that came with the rifle.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've found that the Barnes solids need to be at least .050" off of the rifling (you probably already knew that, but I thought I would throw it in anyway) my .458 Lott groups shrank to about 1.250" from over 4" just by varying the seating depth. Alternatively, you might just sell me the rifle cheap and not have to worry about it anymore!

Karl Evans

Posts: 2901 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I shoot Barnes TSX and Banded Solids (165 grains) in a 30/06. Using the same powder charge they both shoot to the same place at 100 yards and the solids group better than the TSX bullets.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Frank: I know we are all experienced reloaders here and we all know that some rifles and some bullets just don't do well together but the Barnes banded solids are some of the most accurate bullets I've ever shot so something is definitely wrong. I would adjust the seating depth to .050 off the lands and then work up to .100 off the lands. If that didn't work I'd probably try another solid or powder. MMP

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Frank,

I have had decent luck so far with barnes solids and the 404. Varget, Norma Brass, Fed 215M. Seated at book suggested COL.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was there any sign of keyholing?

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I put some loads together for the old Barnes monosolid & they shot sub moa in my rifle. When the new ones came out, I tried the exact same load & they shoot the same in my rifle, MOA or better on good days. I use eithr IMR4831 or RL19.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like I need to develop a load on my own, & not try to use these loads that came with the rifle. Thanks for your input ...... I'll let you know if I come up with a good loading.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1586 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote