New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Seating Depth/Crimping
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Im new to handloading bullets with a crimping cannelure's. I'm getting the correct seating depth on the bullets however i cannot tell that the case is actually crimping around the bullets cannelure as it's sapposed to. Any suggestions?

Speak softly and carry a big stick, and you will go far. -- Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Unless you're using a taper crimp die, the crimp is supposed to roll into the cannelure.

One of Us
Picture of ace
posted Hide Post
the only gun that I reload for and and use crimp is a 454 casull and I use a lee factory crimp die 375 and 300 H&H,6.5x55 swedish mauser,and M1 garand I never crimp any of these

Ya can't kill'em too dead. -Elmer Keith

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brennanc9093:
Im new to handloading bullets with a crimping cannelure's. I'm getting the correct seating depth on the bullets however i cannot tell that the case is actually crimping around the bullets cannelure as it's sapposed to. Any suggestions?

Are you loading for a bottlenecked rifle cartridge?? If yes, just forget the cannelure, and seat the bullets as suitable for your magazine and/or chamber. It is very unlikely you'll need a crimp. (There are a few exceptions such as loading for a (semi-)auto).

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am currently working on loads for a 300 WSM and I don't and will not crimp.