Find
Notify
Tools

300 Weatherby Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted
It's been a while since I was asking some questions on this topic (and think it was the medium forum), but had some results today from the range that I wanted to summarize and get feedback on.

here's the data:

- 180 gr Sciroccos with 84.5 gr IMR 7828SSC @ 3.629" - 3,260 fps, good group, but room to improve; My Load
- Superior Ammo loads (I like to test a lot of bullets, so this is cheap way, but their loads were sub-300 win mag...........)
+ 180 gr TSX - no group
+ 200 gr Aframe - nada
+ 200 gr Partition - nada
+ 200 gr Woodleigh - may be able to improve

questions:

- Don't know if it's the low velocity loads from Superior or the 200 gr bullets, but none did well
- The One BT, the Scirocco, did the best?
- I've always considered the Scirocco too light for the 300 Weatherby? Maybe I should reconsider
- Thinking about trying 200 gr NF and 200 Gr WL; should I step down to 180gr? And if I step down to 180gr, should I try the Aframe as well.

Net, my goal was a hard hitting 200 gr at over 3,000 fps or a TSX at 3,200+ fps. The TSX is out of the question with the accuracy it displayed.

Thoughts?

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no way to get the projo touching the lands given box mag length, but I always seat projos to max allowed by the mag box. Invariably, this has given me best results.

Many factory loads are about 1/4" below this, so will use a kinetic puller to stretch COL past max, then use seating die to get projo back to smidge under mag length.

Posts: 670 | Location: Dover-Foxcroft, ME | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Load then long and load them hot. That is what I was told when I started reloading for my 300wby.

My load I have settled on for my 300wby is 168gr TSX 86gr IMR 7828 (1/2gr over book max) COL 3.69.

Back to your question, your slow speed may be a problem.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I just ordered some 1800 gr TTSX. I know BTs are iffy, but the Sciroccos did well for me, but want some TUFF!

Waiting to hear back from Northfork on the velocities theya re getting in their bullets. I use them for my 404 and 458. VERY accurate. However, don't look like the 30 cals would have a very high BC. Will also look into some Woodleighs.

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3080 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting. And a little stick in the eye for me too.

My 300 Weatherby is a Winchester Model 70 and is currently off getting restocked. I had always shot factory Weatherby in it without great results. But it hasn't done a lot of work in the past six years since I came back to reloading and got a much better and expensive set up. Beings about everything else did better I hoped the 300 Wby would too as I just loaded up on Redding dies and Weatherby brass for it for when it returns.

I too have the 180 TTSX and the 200 grain TSX on my try menu.

I had previously thought the recommended 3.560 inch COAL would not go in my magazine box of the Model 70. I loaded a 180 TTSX in a Weatherby case to create a dummy round and it did fit and cycle fine. So I was optimistic.

In my thread about the Barnes bullets in 300 Wby Mag a few pages back there were some recommendations for the 168 Barnes that I am going to try.

But maybe you will update your thread here with the results you find too.

Is your rifle an Accumark? Or Weatherby? Or what twist is your barrel?

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 168 TTSX in my 300 Roy and it is a killin machine and shoots close to 1/2 in my Japan 26"
Mark v deluxe.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Sciroccos are a pretty tough bullet. I loaded the 165s for a buddies Wyoming elk this last fall. He shot a monster 6X with impact velocity around 2900FPS +/-. First shot complete pass through second shot quartering away went through almost 30 inches of elk and he found the bullet in the hide. Perfect picture of an expanded bullet. He said the big fella made it 15 feet. These also run close to 1/2 MOA from my 300 Wby pushed hard with RL22 seated to magazine length. That is from a Mark V Outfitter. It also shoots 130 and 168 Barnes very well and 150 and 180 Partitions very well all pushed hard. I may have to try 200 grainers to see how they do, but I just can't se them doing anything the 168TTSX can't do.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For my taste the Barnes 180 gr. TTSX's occupy too much powder space in the 300 Roy. Was also disappointed with the velocity (3050fps) but they killed well.

The 168 grainers are just about right IMO, I settle the powder by holding the cartridge head with the powder funnel atop the case on my old tumbler. Settles things pretty good.

This way I can crimp into the first relief groove with a Lee Factory Crimp Die.

Accurate, flies flat & far and kills well at @3270 fps. with either H-4831, RL-22, VVN-160 or VVN-165.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Austin,

If you are not using a Federal 2215 primer, try them. This primer was developed for Weatherby.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you tried Berger hunting bullets, NBTs, or Accubonds, LR or std?

The 210 Berger is an accurate bullet with a very high BC.

On thin-skinned big game these bullets are fine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm loading 78gr of IMR4831 with 168gr TTSX in my Euromark 300Wby.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote