New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beginner reloader - need advice
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm thinking about getting into reloading. I'm doing a lot of reading and I dont know if I would be better off with a single station press, a turret or a progressive. If I am loading pistol cartridges, and I have the option between a 3,4, and 5 station tool head, what do I do with the additional stations if I only hae a 3 die set? I think I have a solid grasp of the basics, but having never loaded anything I need some guidance.

Posts: 62 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida, USA | Registered: 23 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Meptampa,

I firmly believe in the "keep it simple" approach, especially for those who are just starting. A good single stage press is the way I learned to reload, and I have not found a need to change in over 30 years of reloading. If, after logging some experience with reloading, you see a need for progressive reloading, you should have a sound foundation of reloading basics to rely upon. Also, you will always find a use for a single stage press, even when using a progressive press.

I believe you will recieve more reponses to your question, some will agree with me, some will not, but all will provide you with their experiences from which you can choose.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Mike

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think I am reloading for 45 different chamberings from .17 caliber to .45 caliber. I have yet to need a progressive press. Maybe that because I don't shoot hundreds of rounds at a session.

I do not know what your finances are like but I do not think you could go wrong with an RCBS master reloading kit. It will have just about everything you need to get started.
Get yourself a couple of reloading manuals. Invest in at least one "how to" reloading video. Also read everything you can to familiarize yourself with the process. Be cautious. Do not exceed max loads as indicated in manuals for a particular bullet choice. For example, speer might have a higher load density for one of their bullets than hornady does for one of their bullets of the same weight.
Don't get frustrated if your rifle won't shoot one hole groups at 100 yds with your reloads. Be patient, go slow, and enjoy.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd reccomend starting with a single stage set up. Learn the basics and down the road when and if you really want to crank out some rounds for high volume shooting step up to the progressive.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I assume the RCBS press accepts standard LEE dies?

Posts: 62 | Location: Temple Terrace, Florida, USA | Registered: 23 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by meptampa:

Yes.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes.
About the only dies that do not use the standard 7/8-14 thread are some old things made by Lyman and they are always blued and are much smaller dies. They were used in the 310 tong tool and in some dinky little Lyman press.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What size press does the NAA 450 Magnum Express cartridge require? Your choices might be limited.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I dont know if I would be better off with a single station press, a turret, or a progressive. If I am loading pistol cartridges and I have the option between a 3,4, and 5 station tool head, what do I do with the additional stations if I only hae a 3 die set?

Your powder measure will be installed in one of them. Another can be used for a powder-check die. Or, the last station can be used for a separate crimp die. Each station doesn't necessarily require that a die be installed for the press to be functional. The sequence of the operations has some importance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm thinking about getting into reloading. I'm doing a lot of reading and I dont know if I would be better off with a single station press, a turret or a progressive. If I am loading pistol cartridges, and I have the option between a 3,4, and 5 station tool head, what do I do with the additional stations if I only hae a 3 die set? I think I have a solid grasp of the basics, but having never loaded anything I need some guidance.

Welcome to your new obsession.

The if you have extra die stations, leaving them empty is perfectly fine.

Never having loaded anything before, you do need guidance. This forum is good. Manuals are good. The web sites of the major powder manufacturers and bullet manufacturers are helpful, too.

Remember, only believe half of what you see and one quarter of what you hear. That goes double for what you get from the internet. Even this post. Books and established web sites have provenance.

For getting the BASIC information to start. The primer (in the sense of an instruction book), if you will, the equivalent to "Reloading for Dummies" book, go to your local library, book store of sporting godds/gun shop and get a copy of "The ABC's of Reloading". It is a simple book, but simple is better to start with.

After reading that, get a couple of regular loading manuals. They will be more specific and also have loading data. Pay attention to the early chapters which describe the loading process, as the "ABC's" does, but each loading manual has different editors and writing styles. Some will "speak" to you better than others.

In about a week or two you will have a better feel for your requirements for equipment, which will be partially dictated by your shooting goals and partially constrained by your budget.

We can discuss equipment later.

Lost Sheep

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been loading for over 50 years, and have never found need for anything but a single stage press. Unless you are planing on loading 50BMG or some other monster magnums I would reccomend the RCBS reloader special press. It is just one step down from the Rockchucker. I do most of my work on the RCBS Partner press. I also have a Rockchucker that is seldom used, only when I get into the big stuff. Of course the old sayomg "you can do light work with a big tool, but can"t do heavy work with a light tool"
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
one thing that comes to mind, is how many rounds are you going to load for one single pistol cartridge.. 100-200 or 1000 - 2000 depends on how many times you want to pull the handle

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
I personally learned on a lee hand press, With a lee auto prime set up. No powder scale just the little scoop that came with the dies.
I learned a lot on that set up.

Again I would start off with a single stage press. RCBS reloader special, Rockchucker, Lee classic cast, Hornady, Lyman all make good single stage presses. Get yourself some type of priming setup besides the arm that comes stock with an RCBS press I personally don't like it. IT's a Pain. A hand or ram prime set up is inexpensive and easy to use.

Get used to the process, Get some books and read. You won't get all the info you need from one book.

As for progressive presses. I'm going to get flamed on this one but oh well it's my opinion right?
Buy Dillon and don't buy a Square deal "B" either. Buy the RL 550B It's $350 ready to load one caliber less a set of dies. The reason I recommend Dillon is the quality of the design. This thing is built tough and strong. And it's easy to set up and use and almost as easy to change to another caliber.

I tried a friends Lee 1000 progressive and Hated it. It was a pain to set up, Change over was also a pain. I don't like the design of other progressives. They are all conversion of an existing single stage press of some sort. The Pro loader, the piggy back, turret press, I don't think they are all that well designed. The Dillon was built from the ground up as a progressive press. I've been using mine for fifteen years and have not had a single part wear out or break and it's still under warrantee
But start off with a basic press first you need to learn as much about what is going on in the process as possible first then step up to a progressive. Walk before you run.

I any case ASK QUESTIONS here or other places and listen to what people have to say, I say "listen" because there is a lot of BS floating around so listen, but don't do as they say. Make up your own mind based on experience, Manuals, And people you trust.

Believe me there are people out there that just have no fear or no brains. And they'll give you advice up one side and down the other. So listen to them and see if what they say comes close to the manual. Above all else be safe. You are playing with some potentially dangerous stuff. but if some very basic rules are followed it is completely safe.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I started out reloading on a progressive, and definately think it was a mistake. The single stage will cost you a little more time, but you'll probably save some frustration and gain a bit of safety. Cartridges like 9mm, 40s&w, 45auto are very easy to double charge on a progressive. Powder check dies will help prevent this though.

Also, be sure to take a box or two of factory ammo with you when you go to shoot at first. You may not find a defect in your reloads until you get to the range, then you don't have anything to shoot. Straight wall pistol cartridges are probably the easiest to reload, but mistakes will happen.

Posts: 95 | Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth area, TX | Registered: 12 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
How about reloading for eighteen years and just a week or two ago had my first round without powder. Got the bullet stuck in the barrel. Fix that when I got home. But as stated you never know.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got started last year. I load between200-300at a sitting. I load 38's 357's 223's 22-250's and 45's. I have a lee chalenger press with scales and powder measure . once you learn how to load with your unit you will be able to load a couple hundred in two hours.Go with something you can afford without tying a ton of money up until you learn what your doing. I will reiterate what everyone else has said read and ask questions.lots of them. we don't need to give the libs another reason to try to take away our rights to shoot or reload.lastly have fun. try new loads to improve your accuracy. don't try to use a load with max velocity . it may sound impressive but hurts like .... use a little less powder to make your rounds especially when your going out to improve your abilities.

wiley

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS Rock Chucker is what I bought, solid press. You can buy a kit from any of the big names and it should be fairly decent. Everyone adds things to their bench over time like automatic case trimmers and digital scales and tumblers and such so be aware there is no *do all* kit.

All you really need to get started is a press with some dies, a scale, a priming tool, a funnel, case lube and pad, deburring tool, and a neck/primer pocket brush. Throw in some manuals depending on what bullets you want to use (you can find free load data all over the internet as well) and add bullets, primers and powder.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
meptampa

Loading is quite a bit of fun and a great hobby. That said, if I was only loading for handgun and planned on shooting more than a couple of hundred rounds a week, I'd look closely at a Dillon 550 or 650 if you can afford it.
I don;t think I could sit in front of a single stage press and try and reload a couple hundred rounds of handgun ammo, or a couple hundred rounds of 223. Progressive loaders have their place. A fair number of folks that have never reloaded a single round of ammo on a single stage press buy a dillon to load their handgun ammo. FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I bought the RCBS Rockchucker kit 18 months or so back & am well pleased with it, though I have made additions & changes, such as buying a Rangemaster 1500 dispenser/scale combo.
I mostly load for rifle, so producing hundreds of rounds an hour isn't important.

I highly recommend you buy the Lyman 49th edition reloading manual, as it is far more than just a load guide (I also have the Speer 13th edition that came with the RCBS kit).

One thing you will need that isn't included in any of the kits is dial or digital callipers for checking case & cartridge length.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I'd recommend the RCBS for a single stage, but I think I'd say start with a turret. It sucked loading for pistol with a single stage but my first 500 rounds or so came out of it. You do learn the basics on a single stage and have a press for rifle also (the turret gives you the same advantage if you have the money to spend up front). I have a Lee Loadmaster progressive. It is a good press but if I had the chance to buy a new progressive I'd get a Dillon with a powder check station. My first batch of .45 had 3 or 4 with no powder. Saying if I had a chance to buy a new progressive, I just bought a turret press (still in the box). Advantage is no more die swapping. I also ordered a spare turret.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would you suggest a hand priming tool, or a primer tool that attaches to the press. Having never done it, it is hard to imagine what would be easier / more comfortable / safer - priming on or off the press.

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I would buy a Lee classic Turret Press. I love mine. But that said, I still use my Lee single stage press I started with for various things. So nothing wrong with starting with a single stage first as you will always use it. But if I could only have one, a Lee Classic Turret all the way!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37898 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turret vs Regular single-stage press?

Sure you can save time changing dies (or, rather, NOT changing dies) with a turret vs a single stage press, but a single stage press is one cast piece, therefore more dimensionally stable (a concern with large, tough cartridges, not so much with smaller cartridges).

On the "which tool to prime with" question. I find the priming arm that came on my presses to be quite useable. Some others apparantly do not. I have read that RCBS has quit putting the priming arm on the Rockchucker press, ostensibly because so many people reported not using it.

RCBS does make a couple of tools (one hand-held and one bench-mounted) that are supposed to give a better "feel" when seating the primers, but I have always been able to feel the primers seat with my press just fine. Eliminating handling the cases an extra 50 times saves a bit of time, though filling the primer tube and manipulating the primer arm on the press uses up some of that savings. Oh, choices, choices.

Lost Sheep