Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

question about bullets
 Login/Join

posted
i hope this is not that dumb of question but here it goes. i am loading for 7mm mag and 7mm rum and was wondering if here is any benefit in shooting lighter weight bullets? in the rum i load a 160gr and in the rem mag i load a 150(both for deer). i have some 100 and 120 gr bullets and would not use them for deer, but are they better for varmets than the 160 and 150? and if so why? if not why do thay even make them if there is no benefit?

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Personally the only reason for the "magnums" in any flavor is to handle the heavier bullets for that caliber at the same or even slightly higher velocity.
That being said the light bullets are not really made for the big seven mags as much as they are available. These lighter bullets will make for a lot of destruction at high velocities if thats what you're after. Keep in mind the differences in case capacity of what you're loading compared to the 7mm-08, 7x57, ect.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Patrick, They make 115 grain HP and 120 grain VMaxs and yes they have a purpose......7mmBR is a little different than a 7mmMag! Or the 7mm-08 or the 7x57.....Some people have only one gun and shoot varmints in the spring and summer and deer in the fall and winter. So they want a "varmint bullet" and a "deer bullet" for the same gun. Now you want to see a mess? The 115 grain Speer HP from a 7mmMag will make a "mess" of a groundhog! However the 120 grain VMAX from a 7mmBR XP-100 pistol as a "devastating" bullet up side the head of a deer!!!(note: Never use this bullet "up side the head" if wanting to mount said deer!!!) Horns tend to wilt! There is a big family of 7mm's and there is a big selection of bullets for them.....all of them have a purpose! GHD PS: In answer to the last questions about are they better and why, the 150 and 160 grain "big game" bullets won't perform(won't open up) on varmints due to the fact that they don't meet with enough resistance thereby passing on through without much relay of energy to the varmint(no shock) just making a "little hole in and a little hole out". Whereas the lighter, thin jacketed bullets tend to "shed their energy" upon impact causing big messes on varmints but also if used on big game, shed that energy to soon with no penetratin and thereby causing wounds resulting in disfigurement,slow death rather than quick humane dispatches!

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

"was wondering if here is any benefit in shooting lighter weight bullets?"

The lighter bullets can be driven faster, so give flatter trajectories. In addition, there are a lot of non-magnum .284 caliber rifles out there that benefit from lighter bullets because they can't drive those 150 and 160-grain bullets near as fast as you can with those magnums!

In my 7mm magnum-caliber rifles, I prefer the heavier bullets for two reasons: They tear up a lot less meat than the light ones, and they penetrate deeper, so are better for larger animals like moose and elk. In the 7mm, 120-grain or lighter bullets are generally for varmints up to antelope, and deer to caribou bullets are in the 130 to 145-grain range (although I know a few people who shoot elk with 140 grain premium bullets). 160's and heavier are "all-arounders", good for deer, elk, moose, and grizzly bears!

I currently use the 175-grain Nosler Partition in my 7mm Rem. Mag. for all game shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use 140's for all of my hunting with the 7mm's and find that they work well on game including moose and elk if premium bullets are used.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
man i dont know what i was thinking about i forgot about OTHER 7mm cartrages....oops sorry for the stupied question

thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid mistakes because the question was not asked.

Bear in mind that the solid copper bullets are lighter and therefore faster than similar length jacketed bullets. Despite the extra speed, meat damage is significantly less with expanding copper bullets than what is generally caused by jacketed bullets.