New
Find
Notify
Tools

405 Winchester - Quickload
 Login/Join

posted
Hey,

Just wondering if someone can run QL for me on the 405 Winchester. I am shooting a new model 1895.

I have run out of H4895 and RL7, and am looking for alternate powders. I have plenty of RL15 and Varget on hand.

I am loading the Hornady 300 gr, Barnes X 300, Hard cast gas checked LBT 350 gr and 400 gr.

Thank you in advance

BD

Posts: 24 | Location: WA | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BD:

I'm currently running some figures on Quick Load. This is a preliminary response but I will follow up with more.

First the .405 Winchester is classified as an obsolete cartridge. The load data is modest and apparently tailored for the old gun which has a P Max around 45,000 psi. * Modern guns of current manufacture in other calibers run 62,000 - 64,000 psi. Velocities are also held down in the vicinity of 2,000 fps.

Quick Load has a vast number of cartridges and bullets but unfortunately there are only two loads for the 405 Winchester and they are 288 grain. But the program allows other input.

Here's what I found so far.

In the tables of powder burn rate Hodgdon Varget ranks #65 and Alliant reloader 15 ranks #69. According to QL and independent load data both powders are entirely suitable for your application. My preliminary runs on QL show modest pressures and velocities similar to independent load data so it seems to be correlating in the ball park.

Although the two powders that you have on hand are close in burn rate the Hodgdon is showing that it is hotter.

The two powders are showing near full case capacity. Case is 85 grains and loads are 66 grains and under. But some red line at 66.

The bullets that you are shooting vary significantly in reflecting on pressure and velocity. There is a significant difference in hardness of bullets, i.e., cast, copper clad lead core, all copper. That reflects on pressure. Thus the BNH Brinnell hardness has to enter into the equation. Of course also the bullet weight and diameter, vis a vis bore groove and lands diameters also need to be dealt with.

To kick start your effort here is a website with 405 Winchester load data.

http://www.loaddata.com/member....cfm?MetallicID=5421

Some of this is derived from Lyman - the absolute pinnacle of reliability and dependability.

I'm cross checking the QL feed out with Lyman and so far it is correlating very satisfactorily.

I'll get back to you as things progress. In the meantime enjoy. Always happy to help out a fellow shooter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
BD;

I spoke to Barnes today at great length and also Lyman.

We delved into the three bullets you specified:

Hornady 300 gr.

Barnes X 300

Hard cast gas checked LBT 300 & 400 grain

I have more info on order which will take a week to receive.

In the mean time I'm running more ballistics on QL and tweaking. Just stay under 64 grains of both Alliant reloader 15 and Hodgdon Varget.

More coming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
what Wetibbe said and...

Nice shooter!!!...I keep looking at them but prefer the 1886 model 45-90 or 50-110 for my druthers...I like BIGGER... Big Grin shocker lol

HODGDON.COM has loads for the 405 W including some of the newer powders that are showing up like 4166, 8208 etc., and all the standard older powders and gives pressures in psi as does QL...CFE223 is also a good one beginning to showing up and is just below BLC-2 on my newest burn rate chart from Lee...

While modern metals will handle much more pressures than past metallurgy, it is the DESIGN of the weapon's BOLT LOCKING SYSTEM and other factors that are the weak points.

The 405 W has a case capacity of ~78 gr H20 according to QL(weigh yours to be certain), so cases in the 9.3x62, WSM, Whelen Imp are good examples to use for powders and beginning loads.

The 405 W is ~SAAMI'ed at ~35534 psi...62.2 gr CFE223 gives 2233 fs at ~35394 psi~89% fill...57.7 gr Varget gives ~2169 fs at ~35328 psi/95.2% fill...59.2 gr RL-15 gives ~2220 fs at ~35436 psi/94.5% fill, in a 24" bbl at 3.175" COAL WITH A HORNADY #41050, 300 GR FP...ANY OTHER BULLET and your on your own...using a Barnes 300 gr #41178 X bullet, 49.2 gr gives ~2033 fs at ~35268 psi/98%fill... 10 gr less powder and ~200 fs less velo same COAL, so you can see how changing components can cause a BIG MUCK-UP.

I won't argue pressures/velos as I've found QL to be squirrely with velo/pressure many times....START LOW AND WORK UP SLOW...words to LIVE by.

YOUR gun...YOUR skin...let your common sense guide you.

Luck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jesus Christo do you realize what a can of worms you just opened ???? Wink

https://www.hodgdon.com/PDF/Bu...%20-%202014-2015.pdf

But not to diverge -your stuff is absolutely phenomenal. rotflmo

posted Hide Post
WOW! Thank you for you input and direction.

I truly appreciated the help.

BD

Posts: 24 | Location: WA | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR 3031 is easy to find and I use 52 grains under either the Hornady or Barnes 300 grain bullets. I think it could easily be pushed to 53 grains, maybe 54. Using the 52 grain load with the Barnes TSX several passed through a mature bison bull as it stood broadside about 85 yards away. Some bullets were found under the hide on the opposite side so not much reason to burn more powder.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snow:

What a great philosophy. I concur 100%.

None the less I'm the self admitted curmudgeon that wants to see EXIT holes on the other side.

Both work !!! Just my fetish Roll Eyes

Hammer it. Put the horsepower where it counts.