THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What is your favorite 600yd load for the 308 28" 1-12" twist Broughton barrel?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is your favorite 600yd load for the 308 28" 1-12" twist Broughton barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Shooting a Savage action with a 28" 1-12" twist Broughton barrel. 308, mainly looking for a 600 yd load incuding the land measurement.

Posts: 50 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 24 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lapua cases, GM-210M primers 44.0grs N-140 under a Moly'd 175gr Sierra Matchking..............DJ

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
tiptoe through this thread

http://forums.accuratereloadin...661072811#4661072811

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out 6mmbr.com. Like AR, a great source of info. They have a whole section dedicated to the 308---along w/ other BR, LR and varmint calibers.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
killpc

I will, if anyone has any proven data info, I would appreciate it!

Posts: 50 | Location: Baton Rouge, LA | Registered: 24 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to specs on some bullet sites, a 1:12" rifling in .308 is best served with a 168 gr. to 172 gr. bullet. Army and Marines in the .308 sniper rifles use a 175 gr. bullet. The rifle is a "Rem. 700" but the barrels are not stock, rifling may be other than 1: 12".

I've been using 165 gr. boat tail Sierra and Hornady bullets to good effect at 600 yd. ranges, Rem. 700.

Hodgdon 4895 seems to be the "bread & butter" powder for medium, large bore rifles. These days I load with the primers I can find, but I'm partial to Federal. Lapua brass is the hands down, no debate favorite.

The trick to working up an accurate load is figuring out where your rifle works best on bullet seating off the lands.

There are so many variables for loading to 600 yds that advice is all speculative. What works in one rifle for one shooter/reloader, may not work at all for someone else.

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisH:
killpc

I will, if anyone has any proven data info, I would appreciate it!

Easy there big fella,

Proven data specific to your rifle, is not proven data to my rifle(s) or that of anyone else.

All data from anyone else is speculative.

(the above advice about 6mmbr is good to follow)

http://www.6mmbr.com/308Win.html

I have loads that each of my 308s prefer.

With my current lots of powders,

4 of my current best loads are: (none in a Savage)

(they may not be accurate in your chamber & more importantly may be Hot.)

Laupua, 210GM, 155.5 Berger MBT, 46.8 Varget, .006 jump, 2881 avg, twist 1-12

Lapua, 210gm, 168 SMK, 43.6 I4064, .008 jump, 2712 avg, twist 1-12

Rem BR, BR-2, 175 Berger MBT, 43.2, Varget, .015 jump, 2663 avg, twist 1-11

Lapua, 210GM, 185 Berger MBT, 40.9 I 4064, .021 jump, 2488 avg, twist 1-11

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Shooting a Savage action with a 28" 1-12" twist Broughton barrel. 308, mainly looking for a 600 yd load incuding the land measurement.

That is a nice rifle you've got. I would suggest the 175 gr Sierra MK and Varget powder. Suggest you start at 43 gr and work up to 45 gr. I have the ability to test PSI and measure the actual BCs of the bullets fired (Oehler M43 PBL). I have found that with the 168 and 175 gr MKs the 12" barrel will give the highest BC. The higher BC simply means the bullet is better stabilized and will give better ballistics down range. So what is the difference? Same velocity but with 10" twist barrels the BC for the 175s run in the .460 to .480s. In 11" twists the BC runs .490 to .500. With 12" twists the BCs most often are .520 to .530. I have run these tests side by side so they are accurate. With my M70 target rifle with 26" 12" twist barrel the velocity of my 175 MK load is right at 2700 fps. It will shoot 1/2 moa and I can hold almost X ring with it at 1,000 yards. "Cleaning" the 600 yard line is not a problem most of the time. Additionally the 175 MK at 600 - 1000 yards will shoot through a wind condition that will blow the 168 MK out into the 9 ring. Just food for thought.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would suggest the 175 gr Sierra MK and Varget powder.

In the lands, on the lands, or off the lands?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I would suggest the 175 gr Sierra MK and Varget powder.

In the lands, on the lands, or off the lands?

Sorry for the ommision; I load them just off the lands at .003 - .004 for slow fire single feed. As the throat wears that is harder to control. My objective is not have a bullet stick in the throat if I have to remove a live cartridge for a cease fire. I seat tactical loads to 2.82" to magazine length.

Larry Gibson

Posts: 1489 | Location: University Place, WA | Registered: 18 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Below are loads I used for some years in Long Range NRA matches:
Cal. 308 Win.
1. 42.2 gr/4064, Sierra 190'sMK, Lapua Brass, 210M
2. 44.2 """" """"" 175's ", "" "" , ""
3. 46,2 """" """"" 155's ", "" "" , ""**

All brass trimmed to 2.002, primer pockets reamed, flash hole trued,
case mouth bevelled w/ 12degree tool, "run out" checked and limited to no more than .003" Attempted to maintain total cartridge weight to no more than 3gr's variance. Did normally keep bullet some 2-.005" from lands and grooves, but will say have used the same loads above and seated bullets back as much as .015" and had good results as well?? Always loaded powder from 8lb. jugs vs 1 lb. in attempt to maintain same lot of powder characteristics. Load equip. is/was Dillon 550B and Dillon dies, but there are some tricks to setting up the Dillon to obtain the best results. Problem w/ Dillon in using 4064 is that the powder thrower is not accurate(long stick powder) and used electronic dispenser/scale instead. Varget or short cut powder,RE15 and the Dillon does OK, not great, but OK.

You asked for 600yd loads and above worked for me from that point onward to 1000yds. Yes, the 190's are still supersonic at 1000yds,barely, but I used 30" Krieger barrel and would think your 28" would still do fine past 600 if desired?? At 600 you need not have concern about down range velocity. Reason for the three loads is if it were a very light wind day, 155's used, wind kicking up a bit, 175's and if wind being strong and unpredictable, 190's

Rifle is/was Rem.40X trued, Tubbs lug, Krieger or Douglas barrels, Rem. Rangemaster walnut 40X stock, pillar bedded w/ Marine Tex, adj. butt plate, Warner Rear Receiver sight, Anshutz globe front w/ post and 1.5 magnifier, Anshutz Prof. Kevlar sling.
Bags, bipods, rests, supports, etc. were not permitted in those days for F class was unheard of, but I can see the F class opening up the shooting sports to many and so I do not think poorly of it, just not my cup of tea so to speak. In closing, those I know still active tell me that the preferred powder these days is RE15 or if worried about temp. variance, Varget? I still have some 30lbs of 4064 and w/ approx. 150rnds/lb of 308 I don't think I will change powders.

** Older Sierra manuals will tell you that you can use up to 48gr's of 4064 w/ 155's, but found that drop tube was necessary and was not worth the effort nor needed. 46.2 gave me right at 2950fps and that is magic for the 155's.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
47gr of Varget, neck sized Lapua brass, Fed 210M primers and 155gr SMKs.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MFD,

Very good information. THANK YOU. This is what I was looking for, not saying I would get the same results from my gun but it will give me a starting point!

The biggest thing I notice is everyone uses SMK's bullets vs's Berger's! Most info I have found supports SMK's, but also states Bergers are good bullets!

The 210M primers are a little hard to get, the only thing I am able to get me hands on are Winchester WLR's, CCI's (200), and I did get one box of CCI Magnum (250) large rifle primers.

IMR 4064 seems to be the powder of choice for long range shooting, hands down! As stated, RE15 and Varget are used quite a bit these days and I do use both as well as the 4064

I did find it interesting you jumped from 155's to 175's, ommiting the 168's! I have about 500 168's I am going to have to figure out what to do with them! Shouldn't be a problem!

QUESTION: Since I can't get me hands on 210M's, what is the next best primer? I know primers make a big difference! Some swear on WOLF primers, but I am not sold on them yet!

If anyone has a comment on SMK's vs Berger's, I am sure we would greatly love to see the opinions! I guess mainly, what you see at the range speaks the loudest!

Again, thank you for your time and thought on this reply. I know myself as well as many others starting out will benifit form information like you provided. My goal is to have a decent 600/1000yd gun!

I am in the process of building a 6.5x47L and I am planning on using both rifles.

NOTE: I have a 243 that love IMR4350 powder with CCI primers, Federal cases! Just a note!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I have never cared for CCI's, but many use them, but if I could not get the 210M's, I would go with the Winchester. Same holds true for brass in that if Lapua is not available, use the Winchester, but actually my second preferred brass is Lake City Match brass
if you can find it.

Have shot truck loads of 168's but I find the 175Sierra MK' just "fly" better. As to Berger and other brands, most today are fine match bullets, but old habits hard to change and just like Sierra's and their performance is well known to me and if it works, don't fix it. While on the topic of bullets, that Sierra 155 is not an easy bullet to shoot in windy conditions but it is a good one to use if you want to learn to read the wind better for you are going to have to be on top of your game by doing so. My preferred all around bullet for long range is the Sierra 190MK's. Kind of like "legal cheating" in wind situations.

I am told the 6x47Lapua is even a better round than the 6.5x47 but hear that both are very fine long range rounds w/ good bullet selections and proper loads. I am old school and long time ago very fine Olympic level shooter told me that if the bullet name did not begin with S(Sierra) and the caliber number was not a 3(308,) wasting my time!
Time marches on and progress takes place, no question about it, but there is no substitute for time behind the gun and being humbled by the wind no matter what the caliber/equipment.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote