Find
Notify
Tools

Loading the Barnes 350 grain TSX in .375
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted
Has anybody tried any loads for a .375 H&H with the Barnes 350 grain TSX with VihtaVuori powders? I'm looking for information on that bullet/powder maker combination.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
I have no firsthand data with VihtaVuori. However, here is some data for you to start with:

http://www.lapua.com/en/produc...g-data/relodata/5/90

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
N140 and N540 have similar burn rates as IMR 4064 and Big game. Start with min charges and work up.

Here is another one:
http://www.reloadersnest.com/d...ight=350&LoadID=9305

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me play devil's advocate here. Why do you want/need the 350 grain TSX? That's a loooong bullet. You'll get a lot more velocity with the 270 grain one, and it ought to do everything you need of a .375H&H.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
When I messed with 380- and 350-grain RHINO's (also looong) only W 760 did any good, but I didn't want ball powder. Opted for 350-grain Woodleighs and IMR 4831 -- shorter bullet. That was with .375 Wby, not H&H (less capacity).

IMR 4350 was too slow and 4064 didn't do so good past 200 yards.

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink You may want to consider IMR 4007 Super Short Cut powder. It is between 4320 and 4350 in burning speed. There is not a lot of load data out for this powder so you may want to contact Hodgdon for some data. Being slightly slower than IMR 4320 you could start with a starting load for 4320 and work up carefully.Hope that helps.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
First, it's not for me. A friend wants to do this, contrary to my advice to him. I told him to load the 300 grain TSX (for which Barnes shows the loads with VihtaVuori powders) if he really wants to reload. In fact, my advice to him was to just buy factory Norma ammo with the 270 grain Barnes TSX, but he seems convinced that he needs an extra heavy bullet for buffalo. Unfortunately, no US or Australian powders are sold in France.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote