H322 and Benchmark traits?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi I have some questions about H322 and Benchmark:

Is it position sensitive?
Is it temperature sensitive?
Is it suitable for reduced loads?
What fill rate does it need to function correctly?
Does it pressure spike?
What pressure range will it operate well in?

If anyone can answer any of the above questions. Please do.

Posts: 49 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What cartridge?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5x55 139 grain cast bullet 1800-1900fps is what I am aiming for, but its only a 45% fill. I have taken H4895 down to 41% and H4198 to 33% which are either side in burn rate.

Some powders are weird is H322 one of them?

Posts: 49 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The powder you want is H4895/2206H, it can be reduced to 60% of normal loads without pressure spikes.
I haven't reduced either powder you mention, but have used Benchmark extensively in 17, 222 and 22-250/AI. It's a very stable powder and may work just fine for what you want to do, but generally faster powders work better for this. I believe H322 is a ball powder similar in burning rate to 748, I don't believe this powder would take to reduced loads well. Use with caution.
The Lee handloading book has extensive data for reduced loads, but unfortunately it lists powders not generally available in Australia, I will look it up and get back to you.
Edit to add:
Looked up the reduced load, it appears that H4895 is ideal for what you're wanting. A 40% reduction is about right, it appears Benchmark may not be suitable for reducing as much as you want.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
This does not directly answer any of your questions, but I can't say that benchmark is one of the cleanest burning powders I have used in my gas operated semiautomatic rifles. It is for this reason, in addition to its accuracy in the 223 Remington, that I highly recommend it.

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H322 is a fine extruded powder - not a ball powder. It provides excellent accuracy - meters very accurately. It is not one of the "extreme" powders designed to be temperature insensitive. Burn rate is similar to H4198, and in between Vihtavouri N120 & N130. Faster burning than Benchmark. Typical pressure range is 35,000 to 50,000 CUP, of course depending on the cartridge. It shines for the smaller benchrest rounds, the 6.8 SPC, 45-70, etc. Recommend that you go online to Hodgdon's website for loading data. It probably is better for lite loads than 4895. I don't have any specific data on that.

Posts: 134 | Location: Western Washington | Registered: 24 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
H322 and Benchmark

Jim

Posts: 550 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both H322 and Benchmark are "extreme powders".

Jim

Posts: 550 | Location: Winter, Wisconsin, USA | Registered: 19 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
ADI Benchmark 2 is the same powder as Hodgdon Benchmark.
I second the use of H4895/2206H in reduced loads. Benchmark and H322 work great in my 223 and 6x45 but that is as far as I've done much with them. You might look at Trail Boss too.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PRW:
H322 is a fine extruded powder - not a ball powder. It provides excellent accuracy - meters very accurately. It is not one of the "extreme" powders designed to be temperature insensitive.

Both my 1# can and my 8# jug of H322 have the "extreme" logo on the label

Posts: 130 | Location: mo | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
I have not tried either in reduced loading but; I do use AA 2015 in reduced loadings and it works great. Both Benchmark and H 322 are in that burning range, both small kernel extruded powders, both light easily, so should be workable. I have used the AA 2015 in reduced loadings in the .458 Win Mag, 30-06 and the 35 Whelen, and it works well.
Your powder choices should be workable at 20-25 grains, working your way up and letting the target tell you when it is good. All other pressure, warning signs etc. of course, Chronograph is great, somewhere between 1400 and 2000 fps is all you need.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
H322 is my powder of choice for a low recoil 45-70 load. 25 grains of H322 will about half fill the case. When I seat a 405 grain cast lead bullet over it. It shoots to point of aim at 100 yards with very little recoil.

"Fear of the Lord is wisdom" Job 28:28

Posts: 345 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I tried H322 in my Mannlicher Scoenauer 9.5X57MS and 250gr Sierra bullets for around 2200 fps. Definitely less recoil and barrel flip. With open sights it does not shoot as high as other powders (which also had lower velocity in some cases).

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11222 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
you will answer all your questions by shooting your loads, and when you get your best accuracy without pressure warning, you have done good! Smiler So many overthink gun stuff!

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42158 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote