New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a "hillbilly" brass tumbler ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I heard someone refer to this once. Since my brass looks like dirtand I don't have a real tumbler. I was wondering what it is, how you make one and what do you use for media ?

Posts: 367 | Location: Farmington, Mo | Registered: 07 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I do not know what a hillybilly tumbler is but it sound's like something Hotdog over at reloadbench.com would come up with. I have had decent results using a method someone posted on one of the boards. Get a 5 lb bag of rice (not minute rice but the real stuff) put it in a pillow case with the brass and tie a knot in the end. Put it in another pillow case for safety, again with a knot in the end. Throw it in the dryer and let it go awhile. I usually include it with a load of clothes to muffle the noise. It works surprisingly well. My wife doesn't seem to need as long as I am doing some laundry too - sacrifices we must make!!!! [Big Grin]

[ 07-10-2002, 21:54: Message edited by: twillis ]

Posts: 172 | Location: Danville, VA, USA | Registered: 08 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.358, Have never heard of a "Hillbilly tumbler", but have read on the 'net of the "Redneck tumbler." To make the latter, you get a large, plastic "Miracle Whip" type jar, put some tumbling media in it, put your brass in the jar, toss the jar in the bed of your pick-um-up truck, and drive around until the brass is bright enough to make you happy. Have never tried it myself, thusfar... Let me know how it works. [Big Grin] Gary T.

Posts: 491 | Location: Springhill, LA | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
<landtrain>
posted
Hey Twillis. Has any of the rice ever popped like puffed rice breakfast cereal. The rest of the readers might want to take up a flower collection just in case the pillow cases come untied. There will be hell to pay in that house, I'm sure!!!

If it works..do it!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Landtrain, never have done it on any setting other than low or cool. Might have to try hot! Inquiring minds want to know.
Now if the cases both come undone, well my wife is kind, caring, considerate, and loves me, but she can shoot! There would be nothing but a streak as I headed out the back door. It's not too far to Spotsylvania from Danville. you have an extra bed don't you? [Big Grin]

Posts: 172 | Location: Danville, VA, USA | Registered: 08 October 2001Reply With Quote
<El Viejo>
posted
One of my relatives said that his friends used to boil the cases to clean them. Anyone ever heard of this one?

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twillis:
I do not know what a hillybilly tumbler is but it sound's like something Hotdog over at reloadbench.com would come up with. I have had decent results using a method someone posted on one of the boards. Get a 5 lb bag of rice (not minute rice but the real stuff) put it in a pillow case with the brass and tie a knot in the end. Put it in another pillow case for safety, again with a knot in the end. Throw it in the dryer and let it go awhile. I usually include it with a load of clothes to muffle the noise. It works surprisingly well. My wife doesn't seem to need as long as I am doing some laundry too - sacrifices we must make!!!! [Big Grin]

Cool idea twillis,

Clean some brass while your making dinner! Im just wondering one thing, does it give you back brown or yellow rice? [Big Grin]

Posts: 10174 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've put them in a mesh or loosely woven cloth bag and thrown them in the washing machine with a load of clothes. They come out pretty clean!

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wstrnhuntr,
Dirty rice! But that is a legitimate recipe (Cajun I believe). Funny thing though, since I have been feeding it to the kids they have been acting funny. Go figure! [Big Grin]

Terry

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Made one today, consisting of: a second hand manually operated washing bowl and a wiper motor. Cost me under $5.
Does that qualify?
Henrik

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are at all interested in idea please feel free to use it. I have a homemade case tumbler that I have used for the past year now , and it works just as great as any tumbler.

First you get two bowls of the size you intend to use . Then go to your nearest Refrigeration Dealer , and get a 10 W fan motor, the ones most commonly used on Coldroom evaporators, with this fan get a 8" blade. Now you cut out the bottom of the one bowl , on the bottom of the other bowl , this will be the one containing the media you mount the fan upside down on this bowl. This bowl should be able to sink in about 2" into the one that you cut the bottom out. Now you get some rather strong springs , to suspend the one bowl from the other . Take one of the blades on the fan , and drill a 10mm hole through one blade only . inserting a bolt & nut through this hole. This will simply throw the fan out of ballance. In the centre of the bowl containing the media you stick a plastic cup upside down in this . This will help to spread the media , allowing for faster tumbling . Simply switch the baby on & let her tumble or about 3-4 hours, you will be surpised at how well this works [Big Grin]

If my directions are unclear ,Please mail me & I will send you some photos.

Regards
Rudie

Posts: 150 | Location: Witbank ,South - Africa | Registered: 22 March 2002Reply With Quote