New
Find
Notify
Tools

Resizing Steel Cases??????
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for anyone that has resized any steel cases. I am trying to resize some and find that I cannot put enough pressure on my press to fully Neck Size them. No before you tell me that you shouldnt reload steel....... I got no choice as they are the only cases that I can get Frowner

Anyone's 2 cents are appreciated. Thanks,

CRaig

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Assuming that you are buying surplus military ammo with steel cases...

Shoot the ammo and throw the cases away!

What caliber are you shooting for which noone makes brass cases?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by missing_something:
Looking for anyone that has resized any steel cases. I am trying to resize some and find that I cannot put enough pressure on my press to fully Neck Size them. No before you tell me that you shouldnt reload steel....... I got no choice as they are the only cases that I can get Frowner

Anyone's 2 cents are appreciated. Thanks,

CRaig

I have resized steel .45 ACP cases with no problems. But this could be because at .45 ACP pressures, steel cases don't expand much.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well they are the big 14.5 Russian. I dont want to throw them away at $20 per round Frowner
I am trying to reload the bottle neck case and can only resize 3/4 of the neck before I cannot put enough pressure to finish the job. I am thinking hydraulic....

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am thinking hydraulic....

I would be too! But seriously - if they will go back in the chamber with .75 of the neck resized, that is enough to hold the bullet. Do you have to have them completely resized for them to work correctly in the action? (I am assuming you're shooting them in an MG.....)

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem is that I can't chamber it. Bolt wont close on it. I am firing it out of a semi and bolt action rifles.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Damn! You have that many tanks in your neighborhood?

Have you contacted PMP?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
14.5 Russian

Steve, do you have loading data? Smiler

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mc:
14.5 Russian

Steve, do you have loading data? Smiler

Not only "No", but "Hell no!"

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I am wondering if the cases are lacquered or coated in some other way? Have you tried cleaning by hand with acetone really well and then use imperial sizing wax?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
once upon a time I had a hell of a time sizing up some 50bmg's that had been fired in a ma duece. I finally lubed them up with some breakfree & that worked fine, save a few lube dents.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Which press are you trying to use?

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using a corbin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerIf you really must resize the steel case necks, there is a way to do it. Get another die and have the inside cut out until only the neck sizer is left. Place the case in the holder, heat it until it is cherry red and the resize it and bring it back out. You may have to set the die so it only resizes about 2/3 of the neck. Trim it when it cools and load up. Need to watch the necks when you shoot them as they may crack after several heatings.
Another way is to take your die to your friendly machine shop and use thier hydralic press to form them. Roll Eyes

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Missing-something--You should use hydraulic as
my worked over ammomaster that I was able to
get 2 1/2 times the force still won't do steel cases bigger than 50 cal. Did you get your powder speeds figured out. I can still test them for you if you want.Let me know.Ed.

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote