New
Find
Notify
Tools

load testing
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I would like to know how others test their rifle ammunition. How shots to a group & what information is recorded. What you look for in your application, velocity, accuracy? What steps do take when you shoot your load at the range? Is a three shot group good enough or do you shoot ten rounds? Do you let your barrel cool off or do you fire a few to warm it up before start recording your information? These are some of the things I was wondering about. Any information would be appreciated.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
First (for hunting) I decide what bullet weight
I want. Then I pick a few brands and shoot a few 5 shot groups at a load somewhat under a listed max. I discard the worst and concentrate
on the best. Then I load up 5 or 6 of a load
of a favourite powder from relitively light to about listed max. (and maybe a bit over, to be pulled later if necessary.)

I start with a clean cold barrel, reasonably slowly, watching for any signs of a group spoiling due to barrel heat.
Especially noting where the 1st. 2nd and 3rd shot lands in the group.
Probably I'll clean the barrel out after each
group, to allow cooling and to see how things are going with a clean barrel.
I record the group size and order of the shots.
Also watching for signs of pressure.
My aim is to get a reasonable velosity with accuracy as the main consideration.
Especially where the first and subsequent shots
stay on my zero.
I don't go for max velosity by reloading, as I believe it's best to get more power by using a bigger cal.
If your lucky you'll soon find a load your rifle prefers.
John L.

Posts: 2355 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RayGunter
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the Audette method of load developement.

Ray

...look up, and lift up your heads; for your redemption draweth nigh.

Posts: 117 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For a hunting load a 3 shot group is plenty, but pay particular attention to that first shot from a clean barrel For varmits or target 5 or 10 shots tell more

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote