THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Who makes what brass? Norma, Federal, Winchester...

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes what brass? Norma, Federal, Winchester...
 Login/Join

<BMG>
posted
I remember reading a while ago that Norma makes brass for a lot of companies. My question is this: Does anyone have a list of who makes the brass for these companies? The reason I ask this is that 'Huntingtons' sells .338 Lapua brass from Norma at $146.40 per 100. They also sell Lapua brass at $237.50 per 100. Does one company make the same brass but with different headstamps? Is the brass the same quality? If so, why not get the least expensive of the two that are the same?

<vssf>
posted
As a mad guess .338 Lapua is the name of the cartridge, and not the manufacturer.

Lapua brass is some of the best brass money can buy.

Regards

Ray

one of us
posted Hide Post
BMG.

I can�t give you a "compleat list" of headstamps and manufacturers but I can sort out a bit of this

Lapua makes there own .338 Lapua magnum cases. Norma also makes .338 Lapua magnum cases. The headstamp on the norma cases is: Norma .338 Lapua magnum. Norma also makes .416 Rigby cases that can be formed to .338 Lapua mag.

The Norma brass is softer than Lapuas and will not stand hot loads as good. Normas brass is WERY uniform, close followed by Lapuas. My choise would be Lapua if I would be loading hot. Normas brass is easyer to neckturn than Lapuas.

To my knowlenge Lapua have never made belted magnum cases. When Lapua marketed their belted magnum ammo. they used cases from other firms like Norma. Norma delivered cases with blank heads for Lapua to put their hedstamps on. This was also the case in Lapuas 9,3X62 ammo.

Hope I have sorted things out a little

Stefan

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stefan:
BMG.

This was also the case in Lapuas 9,3X62 ammo.

Stefan

Interesting, LAPUA either make their own 9.3x62 brass or Norma makes it for them to a different brass mix than Norma uses. The reason I say this is because I buy LAPUA 9.3x62 brass and it's typical LAPUA with the annealing marks still there and not so gold coloured as Norma.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I don�t know if Lapua makes teir own 9,3X62 brass now but some years ago when I visited the factory they bougth unmarked brass from Norma. If they look and feel like the other Lapua brass they probably have stared making them at Lapua.

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote