New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best book covering trajectories
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a book (a gift for my father in law - a retired professional deer culler in NZ) which covers the trajectories of as many different rounds/projectiles as possible - basically a book to compare trajectories.
There are lots of ballistics type books available eg Cartridges of the World - but I don't know which books might cover this?
Can anyone help?
Cheers!

Posts: 120 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 28 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is a good question. All factory ammo may have a ballistics data table online but I have yet to see a book that combines all of them. I consult my reloading manuals which give me trajectory information that I can chart for myself. Nosler, Hornady, Etc...

Captain Finlander

Posts: 480 | Registered: 03 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a book, "AMMO & BALLISTICS" 4th edition. Bob Forker. It lists most calibers various bullets I use, (Nosler, Barnes, Hornady, and most others) out to 1000 yards. I'd buy it again & when friends see it; they give it a lookover. I got it at Sportsman Warehouse for around 25 bucks.

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If your Father-in-Law is using Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, or Speer, it might be the easiest to just get one of their current Manuals. Barnes mentioned a couple of years ago they were "re-doing" all of theirs, because people had found they were overly high.

I used the Manuals for years and Plotted the "alleged" Trajectories on Graph paper with a French Curve.

My copy of Load From A Disk by Wayne Blackwell has all kinds of Bullets from many Manufacturers. Plus you can Chart the alleged Trajectories in comparison to each other.
-----

The real problem is they all tend to Calculate the Ballistic Coefficients (B.C., which gives us the Trajectories) differently from Manufacturer to Manufacturer. So, what appears to be the Sleekest Bullet out there, just may not be True.

An example would be the 30cal. 165gr Nosler B-Tip vs. the 165gr Speer SPBT. Which would you think is the Sleekest without checking the B.C.?

Even then, the only real way to know what the actual Trajectory is for a specific Bullet, is to put it onto a Target at the Elevation where you will be using it.

And to make it even a bit more interesting, variations in the B.C. of even +/- .050 between two different Bullets will have an insignificant effect on the real Trajectory.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that the Hornady Volume II, and the back of the Sierra Reloading Manuals have ballistics data in them out to 500 yards..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every one should go to the Norma site and look at the inter-active balaistic chart. When you get to their site click balistis and then pick metric or US. It takes about 15-20 sec. to load. go to "defing you owen bullet" and inter the BC and weight. you then enter the sight in range ,speed, wind, hight of sights and wind angle on sliders and the graph will show the trajectory. As you change any of the sliders the grafh changes. On my computer I have to drag the page up to be able to enter the speed.
PS: Please don't tell anyone about the site as it is are secret.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote